Bachmann's DCC decoder that comes with the GS-4

Started by Kaos, March 13, 2008, 04:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaos

Trying to get a mars light effect, does this decoder support that effect?

WoundedBear

The simple answer would be....no. The basic 2 function decoder handles headlights and direction....that's it.

Have a look at Lenz or Digitrax for a decoder with more features.

Sid

Kaos

My previous postcount was...0?  Weird.

And thanks Sid.  Though it can't be just a 2 function because it has a headlight dimmer switch on F1.

honestabe58

I HAVE A AM TRACK ENGINE THAT HAS MARS LIGHTS,WHEN I PUT A DECODER IN THE ENGINE, I BYPASSED THE MARS LIGHTS BY LEAVING THEM ON ALL THE TIME.

THIS WAY YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR DECODER.

DOWN SIDE TO THIS IS, WHEN YOUR NOT RUNNING YOUR ENGINE, YOUR MARS LIGHTS STAY ON UNTIL YOU CUT POWER TO THE TRACK

HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU.

HONESTABE58

WoundedBear

Quote from: Kaos on March 13, 2008, 04:59:31 PM
And thanks Sid.  Though it can't be just a 2 function because it has a headlight dimmer switch on F1.

Read the decoder manual.....

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/newez/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

Even Bachmann calls it a 2 function. Dimming isn't a seperate function...it is done electronically through the light circuit and doesn't require a seperate wire. It is part of the light function already. The decoder just tells the light to drop voltage....similar in the way the decoder relays speed information.

Sid

Kaos

Quote from: honestabe58 on March 13, 2008, 08:30:56 PM
I HAVE A AM TRACK ENGINE THAT HAS MARS LIGHTS,WHEN I PUT A DECODER IN THE ENGINE, I BYPASSED THE MARS LIGHTS BY LEAVING THEM ON ALL THE TIME.

THIS WAY YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR DECODER.

DOWN SIDE TO THIS IS, WHEN YOUR NOT RUNNING YOUR ENGINE, YOUR MARS LIGHTS STAY ON UNTIL YOU CUT POWER TO THE TRACK

HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU.

HONESTABE58

I think you're thinking of ditch lights.  A Mars light is a cool effect of the headlight itself where it sort of flashes dim-brighter-dim-brightest-dim-brighter, etc.

honestabe58

no i have lights on my engine that flashes on and off. it has nothing to do with the head light, my head light ,i can make bright or dim it, the other lights stay on all the time.

Guilford Guy

There is a dimming function on many decoders, however, a Mars light is automatic, and you do not have to press function 4 over and over and over and over and...
Alex