News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New MDC USAR light 4-6-2

Started by SteamGene, March 27, 2008, 09:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Athearn will NOT swap old Genesis light Pacifics for the new MDC Pacific.  They MAY have an improved Mike in the future.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on March 27, 2008, 09:05:09 AM
Athearn will NOT swap old Genesis light Pacifics for the new MDC Pacific.  They MAY have an improved Mike in the future.
Gene

So, Athearn will still not live up to their warranty.  Hmmmm, makes you think about continuing to do business with them, doesn't it?

Atlantic Central

As I have said before, I agree Athearn has handled this poorly, but last I heard, they had provided replacement geared drivers to at least some of those people with defective locos.

Since when in the history of product warranties does the customer get to choose the warranty remedy? Are they still making any attempt to replace drivers when asked for them?

Considering all the "errors" of other manufacturers and the sometimes slow or poor solutions to them, I will/have forgive Athearn this one and move on. I still buy lots of Athearn.

As for the new Pacific, I will most likey try one out. If its good I might buy a whole fleet, Since BLI/PCM seems unable or unwilling to deliver theirs and I don't want sound/DCC anyway.

Athearn has gotten that message, the new 4-8-2 and the 4-6-2 being offered with and without DCC/sound.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Off the Yahoo steam locomotive group:

Thank-you for your inquiry. Please note that the new 4-6-2's will not have any additional weight because there isn't any more room for more weight. They will have traction tires to improve pulling power. The will have a new metal drive axle gear. They will have tender pick-up. They will have a new motor and wire harness.
>Sincerely,
>Athearn Trains
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

Athearn went into the steam engine business about forty years ago and those engines were clunkers and disappeared. At that time there was no warrantee. If you bought it from a hobby shop you'd maybe take it back but I doubt anyone would have ever thought about returning it directly to Athearn.

If a person has one of the first edition Athearn streamers with bad gears they need to contact Athearn about it. Best bet is not buy any more of their products if they won't help.

I'm sure the new company doesn't want to lose business.