Problems w/HO "Northern" Locomotive

Started by lubeman, March 29, 2008, 10:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lubeman

I have just gotten this nice 4-8-4 Norhtern/Tender(8-8). Problem is it doesn't like to run on my EZ-track layout. (Simple medium size loop). I run the loco in DC at this time (jumpers installed). It starts and stops and lights go out.I run an FT-A/FT-B unit with no problems. I also run the "Old Time"trains with no problems. NEED ADVICE !!!

mikel
mikel

the Bach-man

Dear Lubeman,
I would return it to your dealer for another.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r0bert

When you say medium sized loop, what size is it?
the Northern really needes to run on a min. of 22" radius curves
(44" diameter)
Standard trainset track generally has only 18" radius(36"diameter), and is too sharp for such a long loco to work around.

Santa Fe buff

E-Z track might also be the problem- not radii, but eletrical current- is your track okay for use?

-Bachmann should put a troubleshooting thing on this site...
- Joshua Bauer

r.cprmier

-Bachmann should put a troubleshooting thing on this site...

Bachmann already did:  It is called a forum.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

trains

its either your wiring is not good in the locomotive, it can only handle wide curves or your track is not clean enough. i recomend nickle silver rails.nickle silver rails are on the GRAY E-Z TRACK. NOT BLACK E-Z TRACK. i couldn't think of anything else. i also had probloems like that before because my locomotive was so old.

Guilford Guy

If the wiring wasn't good it wouldn't move at all. The 4-8-4 has a longer wheelbase than the F's so I don't think its a problem with the track. I would return it. It doesn't sound like a quartering problem because you didn't mention it binding. Try putting the F's  on the track with the 4-8-4, with whichever locomotive is faster on the head end. If the F's slow down along with the 4-8-4 then the motor is stalling for some reason. If they continue to run fine then I'm dumbfounded...
Alex