News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

battery power questions

Started by Mike, April 04, 2008, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Okay guys. All of this talk about battery power with wireless remote control has piqued my interest. I have a few questions:
How heavy can a battery be for one of these trains? I ask because I have a number of 12 VDC 7.0 amp. hr. batteries which were removed from a fire alarm system. But they weigh about five pounds each. Would that be too much for a 4-6-0 to pull in a trailing car?
If it's not too much weight, then how much would I have to expect to spend to get an RC unit going. I'm not at the point that I feel any need for sound, so if that's an extra cost, I'd be happy to go without it. Any input would be welcomed. Thanks in advance- Mike

Kevin Strong

When we first started with battery R/C (nearly 25 years ago), we used two 6v lead-acid motorcycle headlight batteries in a trail car. They weren't light, though I don't recall how heavy they were. A train pulling such a power car was still good for 7 or 8 cars up a 4% grade.

I'll make the assumption that these are sealed "gel-cell" batteries, as they tend to be the most common batteries used in such systems. They'll work quite well for running your trains. They were the first batteries to replace the motorcycle batteries, though they were quickly replaced in most circles by the NiCad batteries from the R/C car hobby.

While I'd personally recommend going with any of the far lighter battery technologies available today, you shouldn't have much trouble putting that weight in a trailing car or tender. I would recommend using ball-bearing wheels or journals, though, so the car rolls far easier. You'll find many brass largescale cars weigh in the neighborhood of 5 pounds, so that kind of weight isn't necessarily unusual.

Later,

K

Mike

Jon D. Miller

Mike,
I agree with Kevin.  You can use these heavy batteries.  As Kevin mentions carrying that much weight makes the use of ball bearing axle sets just about a requirement.  Plus, remember with that much weight your locomotive must pull that weight up any grades.

Years ago I used lead acid batteries that had a weight of 4 1/2 to 5 pounds.  With ball bearing wheels there were no operational problems.

RC systems such as the Aristo-Craft Train Engineer or Radio Control Systems will work just fine in a following car.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

jsmvmd

Dear Kevin & Jon,

I have an interest in doing this for a Bachmann Annie and Aristo 2-4-2 Rogers.

I have looked at the Aristo, MLS and other sites to get a basic idea.

My trouble is getting started and picking the best components, since I do not understand battery technology or electronics.

Could we start a new post to list the basics for someone like me who wants to do it but does not understand the components? 

I would be willing to buy the stuff and build it if I could get your online help to develop a parts list, building protocol, help with debugging, etc.

I already have a TE that I plan to use for a walk-around controller for an HO layout that a friend is giving me.

Does this interest you?

I am in Altoona, PA. So if "younz guys," to use "Pittsburgh-eze" would want to meet at a common watering hole to go over basics and to have a cup of Joe, please let me know!  However, please don't let me "no."

Best Wishes,

Jack

Jon D. Miller

Jack,
I think both Kevin and I are too far away to meet with you.

However, if you will contact me off net I'll try to be of assistance.

If interested contact me at jlsclw@aol.com

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

jsmvmd

Dear Jon,

After I think about this a bit more, I will get in touch.

Thank you and Best Wishes,

Jack