Removing cover on 4-8-4 Northern tender

Started by JRP, April 04, 2008, 11:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRP

I recently purchased the 4-8-4 Northern (HO) and am planning to install a 1 inch speaker and sound decoder in the tender.  The unit is already DCC equiped.  My question is how do I get the cover off the tender easily?

I went to unsrew the trucks, but found they are wired to the inside of the tender and did not think removing the wires from the trucks looked like a good idea.   

Any suggestions?   

JRP  "Great Southwest and Pacific RR"

the Bach-man

Dear JRP,
Which tender is it?
Thanks!
the Bach-man

JRP

It is part number 50802.  Santa Fe # 3871, 54 scale feet long. 

I can see a fine slit opening under the bottom of the tender on each side where it appears the entire top and sides can be removed, but I do not want to force this.  Also, the trucks are wired into the shell and even removing the screws only loosens the trucks, not removes them.

the Bach-man

Dear JRP,
I'll try to get a sample and take a look.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r0bert

there should be a screw in the middle of the bottom that holds it all together. see diagram here
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/index.php
click on diagrams, HO, Standard line, and it will be the last one on the bottom of the list.

mattallen37

I have the exact loco, only mine is number 3783 not 3781 anyway, I just had my tender apart today and there are 4 screws, one in the very middle, one at the back, and one in each of the two front corners. hope this helps :)

Matt

JRP

Matt (and Robert),

Yes, I found them,  Could not see them since they are rescessed into the body, but I was able to get the cover off....thanks for the direction.

Note:  I used a very small flathead jewelers screw to unscrew them as I found that trying a small phillips head was not as firm a grip to the screw head.  I think these screws can strip easily.

JRP