News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2 or 2-10-0 Steam Locomotives

Started by busterbrown, February 26, 2007, 05:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busterbrown

Dear Bach Man,

I am thinking of adding one of the above to my layout.  I only have diesel at the present.  I only have available 15 degree curves on the track that will be used.  Will a decapod operate efficiently on 15 degree curves?  or is 18 degree the sharpest that will allow smooth operation.

It is also my understanding that a 2-8-2 Mikado will operate on 15 degree curves.

Please advise if I am correct on this assumption for the Mikado

SteamGene

Forget a 2-10-2 on 15 inch radius turns.  The Russian Decapod might work.  I repeat: Might.   No other2-10-2 will.  The IHC 2-8-0 might work, as might their 2-6-X or the Bachmann 2-6-X
That is awful tight.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Matthew Ginkel

actually the bachmann 2-10-0 will take 15" curves

Jake

Quote from: buster brown on February 26, 2007, 05:06:26 PM
Dear Bach Man,

I am thinking of adding one of the above to my layout.  I only have diesel at the present.  I only have available 15 degree curves on the track that will be used.  Will a decapod operate efficiently on 15 degree curves?  or is 18 degree the sharpest that will allow smooth operation.

It is also my understanding that a 2-8-2 Mikado will operate on 15 degree curves.

Please advise if I am correct on this assumption for the Mikado

First thing, the degree for the curve has nothing to do with an engine's ability to navigate it, it is the radius, or half of the diameter. therefore 15" radius
will have a 30" diameter, or the entire length of the of a line going down the center of a circle, and though this may seem very large, it is actually pushing the limits of what locomotives can do. And also one last thing, if you build a permanent layout, give yourself afe inches of wiggle room for track laying, the radius is taken from the centerline of the the track. Sorry if any of this information is redundant, just trying to do all i can to help.  ;D

As far as operating, a 2-10-0 should go around 15" radius curves at very low speeds so efficiency is ruined. And as gene stated forget about a 2-10-2.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!