News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sooo...about those Chinese Mike's

Started by Mr. Moto, April 11, 2008, 08:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Moto

I've got one that I would like to backdate a bit and Americanize.  I am by no means a prototype modeler so it just has to look plausable.  Has anyone here switched out the tender for one of Bachmann's other tenders?  If so, what did you do with the funky semi-permanent drawbar?

I did a search but did not come up with any definites.  Thanks.

Yampa Bob

I have switched out several tenders on my UP Connie with no problems.  If you are referring to the way the drawbar is always disconnecting here is what I do with it.

I find a small hex nut about the right size for the drawbar post, located on the tender in my case.  It will usually be a 4-40 or 6-32.  With a small nut driver, I carefully cut  threads about 1/8" up the post.  This is just to roughen the post, you can do the same with a file or coarse sandpaper.  Then I secure the drawbar on the post with a short piece of 1/16" ID model aircraft fuel tubing. 

I also ream out the hole in the drawbar a tad so it doesn't bind on the post. The drawbar should neither pull the tender down or lift it up, bend until it "floats" in the middle of the post.   

This may not be the info you want, but it can't hurt to know anyway.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Mr. Moto

Bob, 

Thanks for the info.  Actually, the HO Chinese Mikados (at least the version I have) have a permanently attached tender.  There is no pin, as is usual, but a drawbar with 4 pins (2 on each end) that ride in grooves in the tender and under the cab of the engine.

r.cprmier

If you like, I can send you pictures of mine via e-mail.  Let me know if you want them.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Mr. Moto

Rich,

That'd be great!  I believe you can get my email through my profile.  Thanks.

r.cprmier

Your E-mail is hidden.  Write to me off-site so as not to corrupt the present status.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!