News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track grade

Started by JackGS, February 26, 2007, 06:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackGS

I am just staarting out in HO after a 35 year absence. My question: Is a grade of 3% too much for a train of no more than 10 to 12 cars?

Thanks for the help. I need it.

SteamGene

It would depend on the locomotive(s).  However, while 3% is steep, it's not excessive on layouts. 
My club layout has some spikes to 3% or better and I can do 20 car trains with some of my locomotives, 10 with others. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

Yeah, it is steep, but not excessively steep, I've heard of model railroads with 6-8% grades. And also gene, i heard somewhere that a real shay can handle grades of up to 14% is this true? (just out of pure curiosity)
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Jake,
I'm not sure how steep a grade a Shay (or Climax, or Heisler) will handle, but it's much steeper than any rod locomotive could handle.  Or diesel, I think.  The whole concept of the geared locomotive was to handle tight turns and steep grades.  The trade off is their slow speed. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen D. Richards

All, The Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia has an eleven percent grade and the Shays, the Climax and the Heisler they have all handle it very well!  Of course the fastest they run is about 7 to 8 mph!!  Plus they switch back to turn around.  Makes for a very interesting day!  Stephen

Bill Baker

Jack, one thing you might want to do is clean the wheels on your cars.  Quite often grime can get on your axle and wheel treads and this always causes greater drag and a resulting lower pulling ability.  Also if you buy some metal wheels and replace the plastic ones...this will help quite a bit.
Bill