News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turn outs

Started by ta152h0, April 13, 2008, 04:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

I was running a 2-10-2 on an oval ( dcc test track with turnouts 0 and it seems to catch something at the approach and subsequent travel thru the turnouts causing a magnificent major bloody rail road wreck. the carnage is immense requiring major closure if the track and reroute of the Amtrack Orient exxpress. Has anyone had trouble with the ATLAS code 100 turnots part number 861 ?  :'(

Yampa Bob

With the old style turnout, yes there are problems.  For one, the flangeway open space is about .25 inch, which allows too much wheel drop and potential for derail. The points are stamped and don't recess well into the stock rails.

The udated ones only have a .13 space. The points are made from actual rail stock,  and the stock rails have deeper notches to recess the points.  There is virtually no wheel drop.

If your turnouts have exposed rivets you have the old style.  The new style uses a "rivetless" pivot, with a spring tension cup washer on the bottom. 

With the old style you can actually hear the "bam bam" as wheels hit the frog point, or the wing rail, depending on direction, and wheel flanges tend to catch on the points.  The new ones are very quiet and smooth.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ta152h0

thank you. looks like I either have some work to do or spend money on new improved turnouts.

Yampa Bob

Some hobby sources still have the old style in stock, and of course they want to get rid of them.

The updates were never publicized by Atlas, at least I didn't see any news about them.  I ordered one turnout last October for evaluation and noticed the changes from the ones pictured in their catalog.  I called service, and they confirmed that all the turnouts were being updated.

Bob

ta152h0

it is a heart stopping experience watching the locomotive you really wanted to have, and bought, tip over on the track just inches away from falling off the table.

Yampa Bob

That's why I have a 2 inch high rail around my layout. I cringe every time I see a layout with trains running along the edge.

Bob

Redtail67

ta152ho:

I have 3 of those old style Atlas switches on my grandsons layout. It took me about two weeks to figure out that the gap in the flangeway was the cause of "some" of my derailment problems. At slower speeds the bump is not bad enough to make the wheels jump over the rail and at higher speeds the wheels do not have the time to drop in and bounce out.

It seems that it will derail at a modest speeds when the bounce is more pronounced.

If I avoid the speed range that seems to have the most problems I can run for hours on end with no problem.

my 2 cents,

Redtail67

ta152h0

i am going to turn this into an " engineering problen ' and see if i can fill the drop with some melted plastic and mitigate this " hole '. It does need to operate on all speeds ( DCC does make it realistic )  My friend here from the club told me to change it to code 83 DCC ready turnouts. 

Yampa Bob

If your layout is Code 100 why would you change the turnouts to Code 83?  I was not aware of any "DCC Ready" turnouts.  All Atlas turnouts are "DCC Friendly" perhaps that's what your friend was referring to. 

The improved versions are about $12 each for remote, much less for manual.  I thought about various ways to fill the gap, but in the long run you'd be better off just replacing them, and chalk it up to experience.  You win some, you lose some. 

Bob

ta152h0

sounds like a good solution. i will go out and buy new ones. My shoulders are very heavily laden  with " experience "  ;D

Guilford Guy

Is the Cow-Catcher too low?
It ran fine for a few months, then on the club 1 day I noticed it would derail at a spot right before the tunnel at the corner every time. Upon observation, the cow-catcher was low enough, that it caught on the guard rails off the bridge, throwing the drivers off the track.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Yeah, well the switches are trouble because they have a gap for a train to go over, if your steam locomoitve has springs, then they might be shifting over the gap-
Thus derailing.
Don't buy atlas, unless you like it, I love their frieght cars on some engines, they have some metal wheel, I like it!
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

All manufacturers have the right to upgrade their products in order to stay competitive.  The old turnouts can still be used to make ladders for a freight yard. The improved ones are well worth the replacement cost. 

Bob

ta152h0

Yeah, I managed to buy old stock and not realising it. that is ok ,you can chalk it up to " supporting your local hobby shop " and having more stuff to build your RR yard with.  ;D

Yampa Bob

TA
Don't feel too bad, I have a couple hundred dollars worth of "experience".  Model railroading is definitely a "non profit" venture, that's why they call it a hobby.  :D

Bob