News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout pictures

Started by glsummers, April 18, 2008, 06:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

I have building on my layout for about a year and half now and am always looking for advice and input from others. I have a web site at http://www.larrystrain.org built by my son-in-law. I would appreciate any input from fellow model railroaders. I am trying to model the Salamanca Branch of the PRR. Thanks for your input. Larry

prebres

Margaritaman

I'm thinking I need more space!  Nice work.  Cool website too.

glsummers

Thanks, any suggestions on the website or layout. Some of the pictures are from our club layout in Dothan, AL and the 2007 train show but the others are all from my layout. My oldest son built me this room in his shop after I have had several open heart surgeries. I don't know how much longer I have on this earth. I am living on on stint and if it closes that is it. I was just wanting some input before that happens. Thanks to all

glsummers

Sure was hoping to get some input from you guys on some things I could do especially around the engine facility to make it look more like a work area. I know it had to be a cluttered area; but what was some of the clutter they had laying around? Thanks for some help. Larry

prebres

Well I'm still new at this but here is my take. The ground is pristine. Muck it up a bit. Maybe some oil spills. Chucks of coal here and there. An old rusted driver and some rods. Just my idea. Your work looks great!

SteamGene

Where are the pictures of the engine facility? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

glsummers

Gene thanks for trying to help. When you go into the website you click onto images and it will have several areas to look into. You have to go to the second set of 50 images. You click onto the + sign where it says engine facility. Thank you so much for any input you have. Larry

TrampTrader

Great Photos. Thanks for sharing those with us.

Bill Baker

Larry,
Absolutely great work.  I agree with Prebres...muck it up a bit.  Rail yards and engine facilities were notorious for having various forms of debris. Dirt, ballast, trash, oil spills anything your heart desires (oops, no pun intended).

You have a couple of pictures that show grass (looks like Woodland Scenics) on top of some hills. Keep in mind how rain water would erode the soil and expose rock stratas.  I actually used real dirt from my back yard, sifted it and added WS fine grass which came out very realistic. You could also add some creeks or detention ponds.  If you get the chance check on the Waltlhers website and order George Selios' book of his layout.  This guy is a master in detailing city and track scenes.

You are doing wonderful work.....keep it up.

Bill
Bill

SteamGene

Larry,
My first suggestion is to use cinders for ballast in the engine facility.  Add some weeds between sets of track.  The coaling tower needs to have smoke stains on it from the engines being serviced.  As mentioned, some trash - a truck track, a few sheds and shacks - oil storage and such.  Some figures. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

glsummers

Thanks that is what I needed to hear. Sometimes you just draw a blank and then others give you some great insight. Can you give an example of what kind of shacks and sheds you might be talking about. I did make up a rip track but I don't think I have a picture of that. What was the name of George's book? Thanks again your ideas are great. Larry

glsummers

Gene would you mix with regular ballast or would you go with total cinders? Larry

SteamGene

Since I'm doing a steam layout, the engine facility ballast is pure cinders - after all, they are free, readily available, and need disposal in any event.  However, a late transition facility may well have gravel added, and one today would have none. 
As for sheds and shacks - the best bet would be to look in the Walther's catalog.  However there are a couple by Atlas that would work - somebody is surely building the old Revell box car and caboose turned into yard office and crew house.  There's a company called Williamsburg (IIRC) that makes a bunch of good stuff.  You could probably use a garage model.  And it might be a fun scratchbuilding project.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

glsummers

Gene,
Hey I never thought about an old boxcar or caboose. That would really be neat. I am basically modeling 1955 which is the transition; this being the case your saying there would be a mix of gravel and cinders. I have Walthers deisel facility which would be new in 1955. Just a question: would you use gravel around that area and then around the coaling tower and tt and roundhouse it would be mostly cinders?

Mr. Baker if you read this can you tell me more about what you were suggesting around the hills. Thanks to all of you. Larry