Help Me Identify This Rolling Stock

Started by rocknblues, May 09, 2008, 12:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocknblues

I have seen these railcars in the local rail yard, and in some videos that I haven't been able to identify and would like to know what it is called and what it is used for. Description: Flat car, no sides, has a "truss like" structure running down the middle. From a side view looks almost like a Warren truss bridge sitting on a flat car. The view from the top would look like an "I" beam running down the middle of the flat car. I hope this description helps. I have just been referring to myself in my mind as a Truss car. What is it's correct name and what is it used for? Thanks.
rock :)

jayl1

This could be a welded rail carrying  car - just a guess.   Any chance you could post a photo?

rocknblues

The 3 minute mark on this video shows what they look like.
The video didnt work. I will going to town today, I will try and take a pic of the car.

RAM

I wonder if it might be some type of Centerbeam or bulkhead flatcars.

Guilford Guy

Alex

Woody Elmore

Isn't it some kind of fancy pulpwood car?

rocknblues

Yes thats it!  My wife is such a trooper, this is our 28 wedding anniversary and she is out with me taking pictures of rolling stock. That could be what it is used for.  I also took some pics of a SF loco, BNSF loco, from our rail yard in WI. I posted those on Sante Fe Bluffs favorite picture page.

Guilford Guy

Centerbeams, they are used to haul Lumber to Lumber Distributors...
Alex

rocknblues

Santa Fe buff

They pack the pacages along the sides, the beam in the middle keeps the stuff from knocking the other side over. I seem them almost everyday!
Quote from: rocknblues on May 09, 2008, 06:15:53 PM
Yes thats it!  My wife is such a trooper, this is our 28 wedding anniversary and she is out with me taking pictures of rolling stock. That could be what it is used for.  I also took some pics of a SF loco, BNSF loco, from our rail yard in WI. I posted those on Sante Fe Bluffs favorite picture page.

~that's Santa Fe buff, It's okay, I did mistakes too, I don't know if GG knows I spelt his name 2 times wrong.
- Joshua Bauer