News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco/Tender connecting plugs

Started by Graham, May 06, 2008, 10:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Hi Guys, new to the group but hope that you can help.  I need to replace the small browm male plugs that are mounted at the front of the tender on one of my Bachman 4-8-2 Spectrum steam locos.  The exploded view parts list shows the whole electrical harness as a psrt.  Can the plug be purchased as a separate item anywhere?

Oh, one other.  I have split an axle gear on my Doodelbug.  Is there an easy fix, or do I have to buy a whole new drive unit from Bachman?

Thanks in advance
Graham

richG

I have bought the two female connectors on a harness for the Richmond 4-4-0 tenders so I would think Bachmann service would be able to supply those.

I went to http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/contactus.php

and clicked on "Service" under Service Inquires. I told them what I wanted on the online form and they sent them to me with a bill. Very convenient. It cost me $9.00 including shipping.

There is a procedure for returning a Bachmann loco but I will let someone else tell how it is done. I am not to famliar with the process.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I tried to buy some male tender plugs and was told by service they were not available separately.  The lack of spare parts is frustrating. 

I switched out the electrics from 3 Vandys to standard, so I scrapped out all the  vandy parts for my inventory.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Graham

Thanks guys, appreciate the time spent replying.  I guess all I can do is order the full harness.

Thanks again
Graham

richG

Quote from: Yampa Bob on May 07, 2008, 08:53:39 PM
I tried to buy some male tender plugs and was told by service they were not available separately.  The lack of spare parts is frustrating. 

I switched out the electrics from 3 Vandys to standard, so I scrapped out all the  vandy parts for my inventory.

Bob

Hi Bob

Did you try to order the plugs or the harness? When I ordered for my tender, I specified the two pin "harness" and four pin "harness"? Just wondering.
It might help if Graham tries the online inquiry method I used.

I asked Athearn/Roundhouse for some tender parts somewhere in June 2007. No deal.
A couple days ago I asked again  and I have ordered three tender frames and three pair of tender trucks. The tender trucks have pickups on both sides so the tender has eight wheel pickup. The frames are ready for a one inch speaker. They will fit the tender shells fron three older MDC steamers.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I need the male block that mounts on the front of my standard tender with 2 tiny screws. It looks like a socket but it has male connectors inside. The part number is H89902.

I have several of the female harnesses in both 2 pin and 4 pin that attach to the locomotive.

Pretty bad when you have to buy a complete tender just to get some parts.

Bob

richG

Ok, now I understand. I took a closer look at the PDFs for the locos & tenders. My 4-4-0 has the two pin and four pin harness in the tenders, the opposite of what you have. The 4-4-0 has the male blocks on the loco. The two for the loco I could not get, same situation as yours.
Looking at the size of the connectors, it would be quite a challenge to install wires on these blocks.

The tender connector harness from Bachmann.

Rich

SteamGene

This is another example of the toy vs model attitude.  I think NMRA needs to step in and make a decree on loco tender connections - an NMRA standard - not that it's going to help me.  Unless somebody comes out with an affordable C&O K-3, H-7, F-19, or J-3, I think I've bought my last locomotive. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

I think the simplest solution would be to put the decoder in the loco and forget about plugs and wiring. I have a couple of DZ123 that are very small. The new DZ125 is even smaller, about the size of my little fingernail.

Conrail Quality

Even still, wouldn't you want pickup from the tender trucks? It might not matter if you're running a Mallet, but if you're running a 4-4-0, that tender pickup is going to make a world of difference. Plus, any room in the locomotive itself taken up by a decoder is room not taken up by weight. Again, not a big deal for a Challenger, but the effect could be quite noticeable on a Ten-Wheeler. So I think tender plugs will still be a neccesary evil for small locos, at least.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

richG

Quote from: Conrail Quality on May 10, 2008, 09:51:03 PM
Even still, wouldn't you want pickup from the tender trucks? It might not matter if you're running a Mallet, but if you're running a 4-4-0, that tender pickup is going to make a world of difference. Plus, any room in the locomotive itself taken up by a decoder is room not taken up by weight. Again, not a big deal for a Challenger, but the effect could be quite noticeable on a Ten-Wheeler. So I think tender plugs will still be a neccesary evil for small locos, at least.

Timothy

I have the 4-4-0 and the tender has only right side rail on one truck and left side rail on the other truck so I installed my own pickups on the wheels that had no pickups so I have eight wheel pickup instead of four wheel pickup. The four drivers all pickup.
I have a good article on pickups for an 0-8-0 loco tender.

If anyone ever needs phosphor bronze strips for pickups, I have plenty I can send for free.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Tim

I agree the extra pickups from the tender are helpful, and if needed then it would only require a small 2 pin plug set which are easy to make or buy.

richG

PM me Bob.

I got a couple I can send for free. I tried to PM you but the message would not go through and I know the letters are correct. I bought a pkg of the below.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83858

Rich