News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ordering Bachmann European Engines?

Started by Steam Freak, May 16, 2008, 03:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

Is it possible to order Bachmann European engines across seas? I want a Class 37, but I don't know of anywhere else to buy a British engine in the US.

Help anyone?

r0bert

Steam Freak

Thank you ;D  Thats definitely a good place to start. Unfortunately, they don't have a HO scale Class 37. Do you know of anywhere that would sell one?

Tim

Another U.S. location for english loco's is here.

http://www.models11.net/store/

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Ozzie21

Hattons in the UK is a good place to buy from.
www.ehattons.com

Unfortunately you can't buy an HO 37 class. All british models are made to OO scale which is 4mm.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Steam Freak

Quote from: Ozzie21 on May 17, 2008, 09:06:40 AM
Hattons in the UK is a good place to buy from.
www.ehattons.com

Unfortunately you can't buy an HO 37 class. All british models are made to OO scale which is 4mm.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Oh. I thought 00 is the same as HO scale?  I thought it was just called that in Great Britten.

But thank you all for providing links :)

rogertra

Great Britain.

And keep in mind that "English" and "England" ONLY applies to "England", not Scotland, not Wales, not Northern Ireland.

Glasgow is in Scotland not England, for example.  Far too often, North Americans refer to "England" and "English" as though it's the whole of the United Kingdom, when it doesn't.

The "English Army" is a common error when "British Army" is more correct.

Hamish K

OO (in Britain) is 1:76 scale (to be pedantic 1:76.2) running on 16.5mm (HO) gauge track. The scale is also expressed as 4mm scale, that is 4mm model to 1 foot (prototype).

The old american OO was 1:76 running on 19mm track.

Current British OO can be run together with HO (couplings will need changing).  Whether the scale difference matters is up to you. As British prototypes are often smallish thay can look OK alongside disimilar US or european prototypes. Alongside a similar HO scale item it may look large.

Hamish

tac

Quote from: Steam Freak on May 16, 2008, 03:45:21 PMIs it possible to order Bachmann European engines across seas? I want a Class 37, but I don't know of anywhere else to buy a British engine in the US. Help anyone?

Mornin', Steam freak, just picked this one up off the forum - you are correct to call it British - there are no Class 37 locomotives in Northern Ireland [part of the United Kingdom, but incorrect to call it European - there are no Class 37 locomotives on mainland Europe. 

The three countries making up the 'big island' of Great Britain are England, Scotland and Wales.  The province of Ulster, also called Northern Ireland, is physically part of the island of Ireland.  The 'Great' of Great Britain is not a boast, but a description - it was once called 'Greater Britain', to distinguish it from 'Lesser Britain', a part of Northern France that is still called Bretagne [Brittany in English].

Many Brits, myself included, do not care to be referred to as Europeans, BTW.

There are a few H0 scale British locomotives [note that I call them locomotives and not engines], in particular, one maker produces an H0 Class 59 and 66.   The Class 66 is very common on mainland Europe as well as here in UK.

Good luck in your quest!

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Ozzie21

Now as a Scotsman this was debate I'd rather not enter into. Sufficed to say all of Europe should speak french according to one country and I wouldn't want to be called a european. It's like calling a Canadian an American.  Bring back imperial measure.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: tac on May 18, 2008, 03:56:01 AM
Quote from: Steam Freak on May 16, 2008, 03:45:21 PMIs it possible to order Bachmann European engines across seas? I want a Class 37, but I don't know of anywhere else to buy a British engine in the US. Help anyone?

Mornin', Steam freak, just picked this one up off the forum - you are correct to call it British - there are no Class 37 locomotives in Northern Ireland [part of the United Kingdom, but incorrect to call it European - there are no Class 37 locomotives on mainland Europe. 

The three countries making up the 'big island' of Great Britain are England, Scotland and Wales.  The province of Ulster, also called Northern Ireland, is physically part of the island of Ireland.  The 'Great' of Great Britain is not a boast, but a description - it was once called 'Greater Britain', to distinguish it from 'Lesser Britain', a part of Northern France that is still called Bretagne [Brittany in English].

There are a few H0 scale British locomotives [note that I call them locomotives and not engines], in particular, one maker produces an H0 Class 59 and 66.   The Class 66 is very common on mainland Europe as well as here in UK.

Good luck in your quest!

tac
www.ovgrs.org

rogertra

Quote from: tac link=topic=5513.msg47244#msg47244 date=1211097361

/quote]

How every true.  It brings to mind the famous headline in a British national newspaper: -

"Heavy Fog In Channel - Europe Isolated"  :)

Sums up the British attitude to Europe and the rest of the world at the time.

tac

Quote from: rogertra on May 18, 2008, 01:49:08 PM
Quote from: tac link=topic=5513.msg47244#msg47244 date=1211097361

/quote]

How every true.  It brings to mind the famous headline in a British national newspaper: -

"Heavy Fog In Channel - Europe Isolated"  :)

Sums up the British attitude to Europe and the rest of the world at the time.

Your point, Sir, being what, precisely?  My comment was intended to show that I still have what is called 'national pride' by those nations who still have it.

If YOU don't believe yourself to be superior to those poor deluded persons who chose to live in countries other than yours, what is the point of having separate nationalities?

tac
www.ovgrs.org

rogertra

Tac.

Suggest you reread what I wrote.  Carefully this time.  You'll see I'm agreeing with your original comment and your later comment about national pride..

Daylight4449

back on topic, i would look on ebay and ho is british oo but british ho is a slightly larger guage.

Hamish K

Quote from: Daylight4449 on May 18, 2008, 08:11:32 PM
back on topic, i would look on ebay and ho is british oo but british ho is a slightly larger guage.

That is confusing. OO and HO are different scales. OO is 1:76, HO 1:87. HO uses 16.5mm gauge track to represent standard gauge. In Britain OO also uses 16.5mm track to represent standard gauge. The gauge is the same but the scale different. 1:76 scale on 16.5mm track is  called OO in Britain, not HO.   HO in Britain refers to 1:87 scale and a few people do model in it.

There was an old american gauge of 19mm for OO (1:76) scale but that is long obsolete (occasionally crops up on ebay) and was not used in Britain.

To stray off topic, having scottish descent I do object to the use of "English" for "British", but Steamfreak did not do that. As for the British objection to being called "european", the brach of Bachmann that makes British outline trains is called, by Bachmann, Bachmann Europe. So in referring to Bachmann European trains Stemfreak was correct, he was referring to trains from Bachmann Europe. And technically Britain is part of europe, while Scotland is not part of England.

Hamish