News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about adding sound

Started by Steam Freak, July 01, 2008, 05:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

I'm wondering if there's a way to change out the sound in my Broadway Limited Cab Forward for a Tsunami Sound Decoder? I opened up the tender, and unplugged the wire-plugs out of the board. From what it looks like, there doesn't seem to be a way to add another sound system in there. What I would want to do is get a NMRA 8-pin connector, and solder the sound decoder to that, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to do that. From what it looks like, QSI uses a different way to add their chips. Mine looks similar to this:  http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/img/qsi/q-upgradechip-r2-4.jpg

Do you know of any way I can do this?
-Dale

Tim

Dale

First off, a decoder is not a chip.  A chip is an integrated circuit that is soldered
or plugged into the circuit board of the decoder.  The device shown in your linked
photo is a chip (Integrated circuit).

Having said all that, why not just buy the upgrade chip that "QSI" offers for all the "BLI"
sound loco's.  It costs about a quarter of the price of a "Tsunami" and puts your persent
decoder on a level with a "Tsunami.

You just pull the old chip and plug in the new, then program the decoder and you are done.

If you choose to replace the decoder you will have to hardwire the new decoder, a lot of work.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA