am building a HO railway for the first time, suggestions and answers please

Started by flyingtiger, July 10, 2008, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingtiger

Hello, I'm new here and need help. I didn't look back to check is there a same topic but here I am for the first time and have questions.
I have only one train set from Bachmann and it's Super chief Santa Fe and one additional Bachmann B23/B30-7 Conrail HO Locomotive also lots of additional tracks and switches I purchased recently, all E-Z tracks on black roadbed.
When will have tracks set will both locomotives run with one power pack I got in Super chief train set or I need something else of ecquipment to run 2 locomotives or more later? Do I need DCC sys, but I'm not sure?? because i have only 2 locomotives for now and not sure do they have DCC inside?! I think they don't have DCC ::)
Can someone tell me how to run my 2 locomotives separatelly ?

Secondly, I have track switches on roadbed from Bachmann with cables. What do I need to control a couple of switches or can I do it manually?
Thank you for assistance!

Eric (first time railway builder)
Croatia, Europe

Joe Satnik

Hi, Eric.

Welcome to the hobby !

Your English is very good.

I have only a few seconds, and can't answer all your questions, but I will say this: Acreage (Hectareage?)

In the US our plywood and insulation sheets comes in 4 foot by 8 foot size, which many here use as an HO "starter" model train layout board. 

I'm not sure of the equivilant European (Metric) size. 

If you have a big enough room, try to start out with a 5 foot width instead.  This will give you room for expansion and much larger radius curves in the future.  You might be able to find a used table tennis (ping-pong) table (5' x 9') for very little money. 

Otherwise, use your carpentry skills to join sheets together (with smooth and level joints) to get 5' width.  Adding casters (wheels) to the table legs will allow you to put it up against a wall (which saves space), then move it out when you need to get to the wall side of the train board.

I will let others give advice on track, wiring and control issues.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jayl1

Adding to Joe's comments -   I do not believe the engines you have are DCC.  You may be able to run 2 engines together on the same track (coupled together)  but not 2 separate trains on the same track.  The power pack that came with the set is probably a small one - good for running on a small layout.  You may eventually want to expand the layout with flex track - about  1 meter (36 inch) sections.  You can do much more when it comes to layout design this way.  As for switch controls, there are small boxes that connect to the switch & power pack that control the switch (or you can flip them manually).  Does your power pack have an AC terminal?  I'm not familiar with European electric!!!  Hope this helps a bit.

ncc1701

A word on track: EZ-track does not make for a good permanent layout. In my opinion, you should check into flex track with roadbed separate. What you have is good for a temporary layout, so it's up to you.

SteamGene

To help you with our confusing English measuring system:
1 yard = a bit less than 1 meter (our yard = 36 inches and the meter = 39.
A foot is 1/3 of a yard (12 inches)
So a 4x8 = (about) 1.3 meters x 2.6 meters)  
Any Bachmann with DCC will have on the box "DCC ON BOARD."
What does the power pack that came with your train set look like?  I have two Bachmann trainset power packs and one is much better than the other.  The newer ones MAY be able to run two trains, but to do that you must use either two tracks or blocks.  
Hope this helps.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

I saw a TV show where they were using plywood sheets that measured 1.5 by 2.5 meters. I think that may be a standard metric size.

It would be so much easier if the rest of the world would wise up and use good old Anglo-Saxon measurement (you know - the four letter words - feet, yard, inch, mile.)

grumpy

The U.S is the only country that does not commonly use the metric system . The mix up between metric and English std. caused an airplane crash a few years ago .
Don

SteamGene

Woody,
The metric system is far easier than the English system.  Why do you think the English finally converted the pound/pence to metric, getting rid of the shilling, the bob, the quid, the farthing, etc?  I can't imagine trying to firing an artillery adjust mission using yards.  Far less accurate.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"