What are the turning radius of Brill streetcars in HO and N

Started by Irish Rover, July 14, 2008, 12:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Rover

I'm looking at doing a layout in a very limited space, so I'm planning on a traction layout...besides, I like streetcars.

What is the turning radius of the Brill Trolley right out of the box, in both HO and N.  Can it be modified easily to turn in a tighter radius?  If so, how, and how tight?

Thanks!

Conrail Quality

In N, I'm sure it can take 9.75" radius curves with no modification, and maybe smaller than that.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Santa Fe buff

Would it be okay if I ask what the labeled max. radii is?
- Joshua Bauer

Conrail Quality

Maximum radii? Do you mean minimum radii? If a piece of model railroad equipment can handle 18" radius, it can handle 20", 30", 300", and so on into infinity. So there would be no "maximum" radius. If you are indeed asking what the labeled minimum radius is, it might not be marked on there. Bachmann marks its products that require 22" (HO) or 19" (N), but if it can take lower than that, I'm not aware Bachmann marks anything at all.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Irish Rover

I saw no minimum radius on either the website or the package.

Margaritaman

I thought I had read a review somewhere that it was 9" and would work down to 8".  Anyone have a recent issue of MR?  I think it was in the reveiw.

bigfrankt

For the HO version. I'm not sure what the "new" drive system's minimum radius is. The "older" pancake motor design operated around a 9" or so radius w/o problem. I have been able to modify these to easily negotiate a 6" radius, but it takes some careful cutting and adding new retainer lugs to the truck. I turned these out of brass rod.

Bill Baker

Bigfrank,

Can you further explain where and what you cut and what are truck retainers?

Thanks, Bill
Bill