News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-6-2 K4 with sound

Started by ncc1701, July 16, 2008, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncc1701

To anyone that has experience with bachmann sound-equipped steam locos; I have a few questions for you.

I found a bachmann k4 with sound. It's the old 1920's original paint scheme. The loco is new, and is for sale by a bachmann hobbyshop dealer. I ran it on the test track but was confused by a clickity click sound made by what I believe to be the motor. Can or will this sound go away after break in?(it's been is the window case for a while) and is the the headlight pickup on the last set of drivers?

I would appreciate any help anyone can give and I thank you.

SteamGene

A bit of lube and some run in should take care of the clickety sound.  You might want to check the rods for possible binding, too.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Tim

NCC1701

The K4's were not sound equipped, your K4 has an aftermarket decoder
probably a Loksound decoder.

The Loksound decoders have a rail click sound among others.  It can be
turned off on the programming track.

Determine what sound decoder is in your K4, then download the manual from
their website.

A quick test to see if the sound you hear is mechanical is to turn the sound off, (F8)
on your controller.

Let us know what you find.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Tim on July 21, 2008, 09:02:07 AM

NCC1701

The K4's were not sound equipped, your K4 has an aftermarket decoder
probably a Loksound decoder.

The Loksound decoders have a rail click sound among others.  It can be
turned off on the programming track.

Determine what sound decoder is in your K4, then download the manual from
their website.

A quick test to see if the sound you hear is mechanical is to turn the sound off, (F8)
on your controller.

Let us know what you find.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

You are not keeping up to what Bachmann is offering. The K-4's are indeed being marketed with DCC and Sound. Check the product reference section.
Pacific Northern

Tim

Pacific Northern

I stand corrected, I missed the little box at the top of the page.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

ncc1701

To all who have volunteered advice, I thank you. I haven't been on the web lately, but i discovered by putting the locomotive through her paces on the loop that the clicking sound slowly disapated after each driver revolution and concluded that it was part of the break-in process as it has not returned since.

As for the headlight issue, I discovered that the led was simply very dim. I as considering replacing the headlight.

Again, thanks.

trainmanchris

has that happened to anyone else cause i'm plaing on getting a K-4 for my layout :)

SteamGene

Which Bachmann K-4?  The PRR Pacific or the C&O Kanawha?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on August 02, 2008, 03:00:02 PM
Which Bachmann K-4?  The PRR Pacific or the C&O Kanawha?
Gene

As indicated in the subject line of the header
Pacific Northern

trainmanchris

SteamGene

And all was fine until trainmanchdris announced that he was going to buy a K-4 for his layout.  Not a K-4 with sound, or a 4-6-2, but a K-4.  Bachmann makes two K-4s: a PRR Pacific and a C&O Kanawha, which does not yet come with sound.  So for anybody who wants clear writing, the message was ambiguous.  So I asked. 
I would bet that at least one of you had no idea that railroads other than PRR had engines designated as "K-4."  Now you do. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

trainmanchris

WTF?nothing happened.......all i said was i was buying one AND YES WITH SOUND.........if i'm gonna spend money.........i'm gonna spend it on something kool........with sound ;D

P.S:WHERE the hell is there a C&O one made by bachmann???its not IN the product setion?!?!?!  :-\

DO you mean heavy mountain?!?! cause Bachmann doesn't make other C&O's except the 2-8-4

trainmanchris

plus..............why can't ANYONE spell chris right??? :(

SteamGene

Maybe people will start when you spell "going to" and "cool" correctly.  Try using correct capital letters, also.  BTW, the "too" that is a synonym for "also" is spelled "too," not "to."  
Bachmann makes three C&O steam locomotives:
J-2 USRA heavy Mountain (4-8-2)
K-4 Kanawha {van Sweigerin (sp)}(2-8-4)
H-5 USRA light Mallet (2-6-6-2)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

trainmanchris

ok that great..............please stop teaching me how to spell...........my keyboard sucks and its not my problem so please LEAVE ME ALONE................................PLEASE!!!    all i did was say i was geting a K-4 AND NOW THIS HAPPENS..........WTH??? >:(

i though the bachmann forums were to be to talk about model trains.......not a school :-\