Automatically running a train set (dual cab)

Started by T-Lloyd, August 09, 2008, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Lloyd

I was wondering if i can automatically run my train set which has 2 engines running at once but only 1 line, ive heard of something that stops another train when theres already 1 on the isolated power block, what is needed for this? is block detectors what does this? does my trains set haft to be dcc?
I am currently planning to make it the common rail system so i can individually control the engines with each power pack (i already know how this works.)

SteamGene

A lot more information is needed to answer your question.
How large is the layout?
Locomotives?
Length of each train?
Is your layout divided into power blocks? 
DC or DCC?

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jhanecker2

T-Lloyd : I have some good news and some bad news . The bad news is your going to have to shell out some more money ; the Good news is that there are a number of Books on the market that deal  with electrical wiring for model trains. The two I currently have are : Model Railroading "Easy Electrical Wiring" by Kalmbach Publishing  ,  and " Atlas Electrical Wiring" by Atlas Model Railroading.   Of the two The MR book is slightly more comprehensive and touches on using Atlas Equipment has well as other systems , but the Atlas Book  has layouts using both DC & DCC systems. Both books are informative and well illustrated but like all technical manuals need to be read slowly and repeatedly .  I prefer doing it in a comfortable chair , good lighting  , paper & pencils for notes and a Liquid libation.             
  Good reading    John   II

T-Lloyd

Thanks jhanecker2, ill haft to see if my hobby shop has any. SteamGene I plan on having it a dc layout (already have 2 dc power packs,) i have a CN diesel road locomotive and santa fe one with a dummy car (these are what i plan on running on the layout) there umm.. regular length? about 8 inches, i will have 12 power blocks (probubly using the common rail system) oh and its a 4x8 layout

I will try to show a photo of layout (made with RTS)

T-Lloyd

SteamGene

It seems to me that you are going to have to keep one train in the hole and run the other with your layout. 
Also, why not just drill a small hole next to the track where you want your wires to go and run the wire under the table.  You can fasten the wire to the bottom of the layout. 
I think you need some support under the wallboard. 
It's a good idea not to double post.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

T-Lloyd

sorry about the double post.
What you see is a wooden frame i built because the table isnt 4x8, its about 2.5x6 roughly. the table is plastic with some metal plates under it (it's a old table) you can actually see a bit of the metal legs in the picture.

I beginning to think it'll be easier if i jsut build a 4x8 table
I have free time so sometime tomorrow my table will be build, ill show a picture of it when its done

grumpy

Why do you need 12 power blocks .I sounds like overkill to me considering the size of your layout.
Don

RAM

Why do you need 12 power blocks.  One little word. short.  Any time you have a siding that is not a dead end track, you must have a block.  Your TT would be a block.  you might need blocks for the  two storage tracks at the end of the TT . 

T-Lloyd

well when runnning 2 engines at once i like to have 1 going around the circle and then just messing around with 1 like loading/unloading freight but even so i like to have alot of options so the 2 engines are never on the same power block. cant hurt having a few extra blocks.

New table is built - here a picture (colors are a bit messed up)