News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reversing problem?

Started by The Old Man, August 09, 2008, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Man

I am working on Woodland Scenics' Grand Valley Pass.  I just finished installing all the risers and inclines and I put the track on it to test drive it.  Every thing's fine except at the 90 degree crossing.  When the engine approaches the 90 (going from left to right into the area inside the inner right loop) the engine stops.  If I push it pass the crossing it works fine.  Also have the same problem when attempting to leave in the straight track inside the loop.

I am using EZ Track NS and DCC.

The plan is on the last page of the following link:

http://www.woodlandscenics.com/images/ST1483inst.pdf

jayl1

Are all the rail joiners tight? Check for a loose one.  Perhaps adding a "jumper" terminal rail joiner (by Atlas) might also help.  Are all rails at the crossing getting electricity?  Good luck!

The Old Man

I guess I will have to check with a voltmeter-which I don't have.  So this is not  a case of the reverse loop problem?  Though this isn't a loop.

Guilford Guy

What locomotive are you using?
Alex

The Old Man

I have two DCC diesels that came with a Bachmann set.  It happens with both of them.

Joe Satnik

Dear T.O.M.,

I suspect a defective crossing.  Any others you can swap in?

It is possible that both your locos have bad electrical pickups on one or more wheels.  (Ohm-meter needed to troubleshoot.)

I think auto stores have 12-24 V (14 to 28 V?) tester lights with pigtail leads on them.  They should help to troubleshoot your crossing track.   Let me know when you get one and I'll walk you through the proceedure.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Also in the "defective crossing" troubleshooting area:

Try rotating the crossing 90 degrees.   Let me know if your symptoms change.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

The Old Man

Thank you for your responses.  I switched the track around and it worked.  I will have to get the tester that Joe mentions and write back for information on its use.

Jhanecker2

From skimming  the assembly instructions for your kit,  it looks like a very comprehensive set of guidelines.   Hope you have many years of pleasure
using  it . John II