News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

add smoke to an On30 4-4-0

Started by traincrazee, September 09, 2008, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traincrazee

I want to add smoke to an On30 4-4-0 into which I just added a light-steam Micro-Tsunami.  Which smoke generator would you recommend?  I am considering either a Seuthe #22 or #23.  Can I tie the smoke generator to the Micro-T for DCC controlled smoke on/off?  If so, how?  Or should I hard wire the smoke unit into track power with a simple micro slide-switch in that circuit to manually turn it on/off?  How much voltage typically is there across DCC rails?  I use an NCE PowerCab with an NCE 3A Smart Booster and a 16VAC power supply.  The #22 is rated for 10-16VDC/AC, the #23 for 16-22VDC/AC.  Here's a link to a Seuthe smoke units data sheet.  http://www.modelrailcraft.com/Articles.asp?ID=133 Thanks. 

Jim Banner

If you add a smoke generator to your decoder, you will have to keep in mind that it, the locomotive lighting, and the motor all draw current.  I suspect your motor is already close to or over the maximum stall current rating of this decoder, which I believe is .75 amps.  I assume you measured the stall current at the appropriate operating voltage for your DCC system, for example 17 volts for E-Z Command, 12 volts for Digitrax, etc.  If this was below .75 amps, and the smoke generator you choose is below .1 amps, and the decoder is in a ventilated space, then you will probably get away with using one of the decoder lighting outputs to turn your smoke generator on and off.  If your installation fails to meet even one of these conditions, there is a very good chance of permanently damaging your decoder.  Bottom line, you should probably consider using track power directly to power your smoke unit.  Keep in mind that the voltage on the rails is a couple of volts higher than the voltages listed above due to losses in converting ac on the rails to dc for the decoder.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

traincrazee

Thanks.  I'll keep those factors in mind.  I'm also wondering how often smoke fluid must be added to these small Seuthe units.  I have Seuthe's in my AF TMCC Mikados and Pacifics, but they are considerably larger and not too much trouble to keep stoked.  However if in order to run these much smaller units one must stop to add fluid every couple or few minutes that's not what I want to do and would not be worth the work of installation.

br549

MY LHS "just got in" MTH's new HO 4-8-4 dsd with steam  it is  :unbelievable!  The smoke puffs out of the stack in unison with the cuff sound and is dcc controlled smoke with different smoke functions.
Its a must see very impressive!
That would be really  ;)slick in an 0n30 loco.

C.S.R.R. Manager

Just out of curiosity, how does the MTH 4-8-4 smoke smell?  Is it the same oil-based smoke that the old Lionel trains used?

I don't like the smell of burning oil, and I can't imagine that it's good for anyone's lungs to breathe.  Not to mention getting the oil residue on my trains and scenery.  But I did see Youtube video of some large models of German locos, which had similar smoke effects, and the realism that it adds is uncanny.  For that matter, so was the price.  I've seen used cars that were less expensive.

Manager

traincrazee

MTH engines use fan-driven smoke units pulsed by an optic or mechanical switch in synch with the drive wheels.  Those are not the same as Seuthe smoke units which have no fan or pulsing mechanism.  Seuthe's vaporize smoke fluid constantly as long as there is enough, but not too much, smoke fluid in the unit.  I've installed Train America Studios fan-driven smoke units in S-gauge trains which are very similar to those that MTH uses in their O-gauge engines.  The units in their HO engines I'd imagine are scaled down versions of those.  Back to the original question, however, how often do you typically need to refill a Seuthe 22 or 23 smoke unit?  Thanks. 

randerson

We always had smokers in loco's in large scale, but I always thought the white "Smoke"  was very wimpy looking & always wondered why no one seemed able to come up with brown or black smoke.

The large scale smokers sure did smell!   I don't think I would want to burn that oil indoors!

Cheers,

Rich

br549

I agree, I dont care for the smoke lingering around. Being an X smoker I can do without by choice.  It would be a nice addition but not a necessity for me.I did notice the smoke on the MTH HO unit didnt appear to be so overwhelming with smoke.
Exhaust fans may be needed for the EPA issue? :D