News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fantastic CEO

Started by Yampa Bob, September 18, 2008, 01:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

I have to tell this story, first a little background. In November I will celebrate my 70th birthday.  All congratulations, sympathies, condolences and wise cracks will be graciously accepted or ignored accordingly.

Yesterday my wife (the CEO of Y.V.R.R. and my favorite cowgirl) and I visited Caboose Hobbies in Denver.  While I'm searching for a brass tender light from among the 10,000+ detail parts, she's looking over the HO locomotive section.  She called my attention to a beautiful AC4400 Union Pacific with the US flag on both sides, road number 5978.  Here's the conversation.

She: "Didn't you say you wanted one of these?"
Me: "Yes, but it's a bit long for our 18" curves."
She: "I didn't ask how it would look, will it work and do you want it?"
Me: "I've always wanted one, but if we don't run it a lot, what do you suggest we do with it."
She: "I want you to park it in that long siding, it's exactly like the ones we saw at the yard in town."
Me: "Well, I've already spent too much money on trains today."
She: "I'm not asking you to spend your money, I want to buy it for your birthday."
Me: "It will run on 18" ok, but it will look odd by itself, we saw three of them in town."
She: (Speaking to the salesman) "Do you have another one with a different number?"
Salesman: "Of course, we also have #5817."
She:  "Are they both DCC?"
Salesman: "They are both DCC ready, with a JST 9 pin plug, and we have the right Digitrax decoders in stock."
She:  (Ignoring all the jargon). "Set them on Bill's desk, we'll let him know for sure tomorrow."

(Today)....She: "Can you show me pictures of that locomotive?"   Boy, do I ever have pictures just in case.
She:  "Do you like it?"
Me:  "Of course, it's a great looking locomotive."
She: "Call Bill,  have them install the decoders and test run, we'll pick them up in two weeks."
(And she will hide them and make me wait until my birthday).

Am I lucky or what?  Oh, you should know, this is the same person that bought our first train set two years ago, a Bachmann ON30 Roaring Ridge,  because it was "cute".  Now it usually sits on the buffet, on tracks, as a display. Once in a while, she takes all my locos off the layout so she can run "her" train, full throttle, accompanied by a shrill "Toot, toot". 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Congratulations on your birthday & your supportive wife!  My wife bought me my first HO train as an early 64th birthday gift about 2 months ago.  She takes an interest in each new package that arrives with another addition.

robin

Great story - thanks and congratulations.  I'm also blessed with a very giving spouse.

Robin

Yampa Bob

Sometimes I think my wife is too supportive, my shelves are getting full.

I probably wouldn't have bought the locos myself, but I will be glad to get them.

Santa Fe buff

Congrats! Both on the birthday, and the AC4400!
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

Thanks for the congrats, guys.  Mentally, I don't feel 70, and doing well physically all things considered.  I think living a ranch life has been good for me.

I'm hoping for at least 25 more years to enjoy my trains.