News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 n scale dcc ready bachmann

Started by locochuck, September 26, 2008, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locochuck

hi, i just purchased my 1st dcc ready loco. 2-6-6-2 spectrum and my question is where is the plug in pins? i don't know if i'm supposed to buy a decoder for hard wiring or a decoder with a plug in type?? can someone please tell me. the papers that came with it does not specify what type of wiring i need to get???

fieromike

All the Bachmann steamers seem to use hard-wire decoders that mount in the tender.  Look on your parts diagram, there is a small box at the bottom of the last page that shows where the wires are to be soldered.  Remember to remove the two copper jumpers that are on the edge of the pcb.

locochuck

ok, the copper wires that you are talking about is the one that on the tender connected to the loco's drawbar holding pin right? and where is the best place to put the decoder? according to my diagram it show to put it at the end of the loco's cab by removing the metal weight and insulator plate. and also what's the best soldering tool to use? i have 1 but it's a does'nt have a pointed tip it has a u shape tip would that be ok to use? i should probably get a smaller type of a soldering tool so it would'nt  get the wires too hot. right?  by the way what is  pcb? and what type of decoder should i get? i don't want one with sounds since i'm deaf. i ' m in the process of getting a zephyr digitrax command control basic set. any info would help. thanks Chuck

Frisco

I would get one from Digitrax. You would haft to choose for yourself based on how many feacheres you want. www.digitrax.com

locochuck

yes thank you.. i 've found one at digitrax  a DZ123 decoder..   pretty cheap $20.00  thank for the info...  now the fun part will start when i get ready to hard wire it....  has anyone tried to wrap the two wires together and not solder it but use a heat skrink tube instead?? or would it be a good ideal to solder them 1st and then use a heat skrink tube?

taz-of-boyds

Locochuck,

You need a soldering iron 15 to 25 watts and a pointed tip, and fine rosin core solder.  Practice on some scrap wire before you try anything on the loco.  You most likely want to do some searching for more details on soldering techniques which might turn up here if you use the search tool (it is late or I would give it a shot for you).   You should not just twist the wires together, it is amazing how joints like that can go goofy, a good solder joint always conducts the electricity properly, and is solid and stable.

Practice on scraps, save your loco, have fun,
Charles

PS, here is a list of some installs:
http://www.tcsdcc.com/installation_pictures_and_inform_N_Scale.htm
and one for the 2-6-6-2:
http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/Bachman%20N%20scale%20USRA%202-6-6-2/bachman_n_scale_usra_2_6_6_2.htm

fieromike

Quote from: locochuck on September 27, 2008, 12:25:45 PM
ok, the copper wires that you are talking about is the one that on the tender connected to the loco's drawbar holding pin right? and where is the best place to put the decoder? according to my diagram it show to put it at the end of the loco's cab by removing the metal weight and insulator plate. and also what's the best soldering tool to use? i have 1 but it's a does'nt have a pointed tip it has a u shape tip would that be ok to use? i should probably get a smaller type of a soldering tool so it would'nt  get the wires too hot. right?  by the way what is  pcb? and what type of decoder should i get? i don't want one with sounds since i'm deaf. i ' m in the process of getting a zephyr digitrax command control basic set. any info would help. thanks Chuck

Okay, we have a 'freshman' in the house! :)
While I was doing a little research to give you a better to your questions, I discovered that the 2-6-6-2 was produced before Bachmann started putting electronics in the tender.  Sooo... we have a different ballgame here!  BTW, PCB is short for printed circuit board.

Before you get in over your head:
Put your soldering gun away, it will be your worst enemy while working with delicate electronics.  It IS possible to buy an inexpensive soldering iron in the 20-30 watt range, but I've yet to find one worth buying.
My recommendation is to buy a temperature controlled iron.  They can be had for less than $40, and will be invaluable for installing decoders, soldering track, and many other things around the layout.  I'm not trying to be snobbish here, just fact learned over a lot of years.  Buy the smallest diameter rosin core solder that you can find.  You don't want silver solder, it requires too much heat to work well with electronics.  Buy a container of rosin *NOT* acid flux to tin the wires, rails, and other stuff prior to soldering.  It is available in liquid and paste forms.  I personally use paste because I've had a tin of it for a lot of years, and I'm basically a cheap SOB.

Dig up some small diameter wire to practice your soldering skills.  REALLY small stuff like you might find in an old  mouse cord, or whatever.  Warm your iron, apply a tiny bit of flux to the two parts you will be joining, the use the iron to heat the wire(s) enough that the solder will flow when you touch it to the wire.  Then you can position your wire(s), slide on a piece of heat shrink, and again apply the iron to the wire(s) *just* until the solder melts.  Practice until you feel confident with your new skill.

If I haven't lost you yet, go here for a good set of instructions on installing a decoder in the 2-6-6-2:
http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/Bachman%20N%20scale%20USRA%202-6-6-2/bachman_n_scale_usra_2_6_6_2.htm  as Taz previously pointed out.

Read the instructions several times before you even think of opening up your engine.  Work carefully, and everything will work out okay!

locochuck

ok, yes i'm a freshman..  lol  i will take your advice very seriously. between you and taz i got just the info i need..   i will go to a store and get a new solder tool.. and get the paste type rosin flux and practice. i'm very excited about getting into the world of dcc systems.. and getting my new layout completed...  hey everyone thank you so much for your help.. this place  is very useful!!!!