American freedom train supposedly made by bachman for Lionel?

Started by timka21105, September 29, 2008, 03:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timka21105

I have an American freedom train that is missing its drive wheels and i cannot find the parts anywhere!
I have called several places and they all have said that it was made by Bachman for Lionel. i called both Bachman and Lionel and neither one knows what happen.
                             Please help,
                                     Tima

Conrail Quality

I believe this was made back in the 70's. If I'm correct, that means that the chance of finding parts for it are virtually nil. You have two options, then: find another one and scavenge it for parts, or buy one of the new Bachmann GS-4's in AFT colors. Personally, I would recommend the latter. It will run so much better than the old Lionel ones, and will be much easier besides.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

the Bach-man

Dear Tima,
I would suggest following Tim's advice. The available parts will not fit the old models.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lirrman

Several years ago I bought a Lionel American Freedom Train (steam GS4). It was in the original box, unopened, but it was 30 years old.  The locomotive ran great but only for a short time.  The motor burned out (a flat motor similar to an old Tyco) and then a side rod came off the drive wheel on one side.  It was beyond repair.  It has since been replaced with the Bachmann GS4 which runs much better and has a better paint job.  I have used the old Lionel shell but the old guts remain.  Don't know if what's left of the guts will help you but you are welcome to it for the cost of mailing. Problem: I hesitate to put my e-mail or mailing address on a site like this so I don't know how we can get in contact.
LIRRMAN