News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends control

Started by Rheneas, September 29, 2008, 06:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheneas

ok, so when i get some trains, figures, rolling stock, structures and track and turn it into a layout and lay the trains on the track, how do i control them? regular DCC or something else?  i really don't know.  Please help!

goldwing

Don't worry my friend, your not allone. This was the same question I had because I have a Bachmann EZ controler, but can it work with my bachmann thomas stuff. Please help us in this matter.

well till the next post... later
Ok, so I return after 3 years, and guess what, I have no railways. FAIL

Rheneas

quick!  go to photo gallery, search "Island of Sodor," click on the words "Welcome to the Island of Sodor."  It MIGHT have some pictures that will answer our problems!!

Santa Fe buff

Well, in order to use a system to control more then one on one power supply, Thomas will need a decorder inside him. Bachmann is pretty cool about these kind of things, making EVERYTHING about plug in. For Example:
ATLAS: Screw in the wire and wire it up with a screwdriver.
BACHMANN: Plug the red one into the track, the narrow end into the controller, then plug it in, and plug the black end into the controler and *POOF*, that GeneralPurpose will be up and down the line. ;)

NOTICE: key word for all, PLANNING IS KEY!
- Joshua Bauer

Rheneas

THANK YOU! i've been trying to find out for a while now!  you are a BIG help! thanks again!

eddie

well, your most likely better off with analog 
whilst DCC you have to buy a kit (about $ 200-500) and you need to install decoders ($20-40) and you must have some electrical knowledge or pay someone to do it (an extra $20).

DCC is a great way to control trains, but for someone on a budget, and new to the hobby might wan't to stick with "ye olde analog"

Rheneas

i see.  but, if i ever get enough money for DCC, will the thomas locos be DCC ready, or will they have to have the complete overhaul to be equipped with the decoder?  also, how do you control thomas trains that don't come in a thomas train set and without a power pack?

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, just get a Bachmann power pack and an E-Z Track plug-in terminal re-railer(Gotta love Bachmann's plug-in wiring).

Rheneas

and if I want to control more than one train withouth dcc?  what then?

thomasj219

Well thats what DCC is for and every controller is different so I would read the directions they will tell you.
If you use Bachmann E-Z Track I would recommend the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC controller.

Me I use HORNBY track and I am fine with their Analouge controls. ;D
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

alex wittman

yeah, i would use Peco also because of their electro frog switches and all that so that will also be all right with analog too.

Rheneas

okay, but are the thomas locos dcc ready or do they need to have some serious metal surgery to make them dcc equipped.  i really want to know.

metal4life

Thomas models are NOT DCC ready. You'll have to buy a seperate chip and install manually.

Rheneas

thanks :).  i've been trying to find out for a long time.  but does anyone have any recommendations for dcc for a 4x8 beginning layout?

Michael

Personally, I'd go with Analog, UNLESS you have DCC ready to go.   :)