Requesting a new steamer model (whenever you can get to it :P)

Started by Spawn of Chaos, October 03, 2008, 04:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawn of Chaos

I have been looking FREAKING EVERYWHERE for a 4-12-2 (Union Pacific 9000 series, or "Union Pacific" class) model, but I can't find any!  EVEN IN BRASS!  I think that would be an awesome model for Bachmann to make and I believe it'd be an excellent seller (since you'd be the only manufacturer of it ;D).

Thanks!

pdlethbridge

About all I could find was this picture. Tape it to the side of a boxcar until you find a real one.

Santa Fe buff

Yay, another topic on my favorite UP steamer! Doesn't it look like it's on E-Z track in the picture. :o
I'll try eBay:

Your search returned 0 items.

AH! Now for the heavy stuff- Google:

LMB MODELS, UP 4-12-2----------- SOLD

I will never give up!

KEY UNION PACIFIC 9000 4-12-2, ORIGINAL BOX--------------SOLD

I can't find anything...
- Joshua Bauer

robin

That would make a nice model but unless your layout has 40" plus radius curves it will spend all its time on a shelf.  I would try Caboose Hobbies in Denver - they maintain a large brass inventory.  Also Howard Zane might be a good source - he can be found by searching for the Great Scale Model Train Show, Timonium.

Good luck,

Robin

Yampa Bob

For only $257 you can order the engineering drawings and build your own. You can charge for all the kids to ride it.

http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/drawings/up_4-12-2.htm
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

As Robin points out, there is a real good reason why nobody other than UP had a 4-12-2. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim2903

If anybody makes this one, it will probably be MTH. They've already set a precedent for making rare behemoths ...
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Frisco

They could probaly make one that could 22" curves. They have done this for the SF 2-10-4 and this is not that much larger. Although I would have no use for this I would haft to get one because it is such of a nice locomotive.

ncc1701

Why would you want such an engine anyway? It was known as a horrible performer because it had such a long driver wheel base. Only on the plans did it perform adequately, and thats why they drew up the Challenger.

TwinZephyr

Guilford Guy

Or a Generified B&M 2-6-0... with a Modeler Applied B&M snowplow for easy mounting on the pilot for those modeling winter...  :)
Alex

Rashputin

I've given up on Bachmann doing a NYC L2 series since MTH came out with yet more L3 and L4 series just before BLI comes out with their L4s.  Now I want them to make an NYC H10b.  One of the largest fleets of Mikes in the country and something NYC fans have been wanting for years.  If they want to make something smaller than a Mike, I guess I'd have to vote for a nice Burlington 2-6-2 type.  Just the thing for plywood prairies common to many a layout.

Regards

SteamGene

Great price!  Too bad it's sold.  There is a beautiful C&O H-6, but I just can't see another H-6 for me.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"