News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Good Loco

Started by Daylight4449, October 25, 2008, 12:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I have a dillema. I am going to the shop tommorow and want a new loc It has to meet these criteria, any sugestion

Slow speed

18 inch radius

cheap

Please! I need a new loco!

Guilford Guy

How Cheap? Any Geep, or steamer under six axles. Bachmann Spectrum Steam is great, but is often in excess of 100$, at least at Hobby Shops. Atlas locos are great, as are Proto 2000, and Athearn are pretty reliable too.
If one were to graph the relation of cost to quality, it would appear to be an inverse equation...
Alex

grumpy

Try the Bachnam Mogul or the Pacific in their regular line . They are pretty good looking and run well . You can also try the IHC locos . They are usually of pretty good quality for the price.
Don

Daylight4449

say, under $60 which is a high demand but I do have aa prarie and a consodilation.

kevin2083

just about any IHC steamer, Athearn 4 axle diesel (except genesis), or Bachmann diesel should fit those search requirements
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Frisco

The IHC steamers are great they can all go around 18" curves. The bigger ones cost in the $80 range but you can get a smaller one for about $60. Bachmann diesels are good but are a little loud. Athearn is nice also but may go a little over your buget.You could also try Mantua from Model Power they run very nice.

Frisco

One more is the Trainman series from Atlas    These are the same as their master series of locomotives except that they have a few less details and cost a lot less. I have one of their RS-36 locomotives and have been very happy with it.

Daylight4449

orgot to mention I hade diesels. I just spliced off 3/4ths of the field!

Frisco

Well that prety much leaves you with IHC, Bachmann Standard or Mantua.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Conrail Quality

The IHC GG-1 is an excellent buy if you can find it (just make sure it's the newer "Premier Series" one.)

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Frisco

Those are very nice how ever  they probaly still fall under the diesels catagory.

Conrail Quality

Really? He just said he doesn't like diesels, not that he only wants steam. Those are two completely  different statements. At any rate, the GG-1's styling is completely different from any North American diesel (not sure about foreign prototypes).

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Daylight4449

Yeah, i'll admit the gg1 is classy

Frisco

I already found the pictures when you posted that so thought I would put it on any way. Here is a comparsin between a GG1 and an E8.

SteamGene

Where did they find that tank car?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"