News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale steam on 9 3/4" radius.

Started by Idaho83815, November 11, 2008, 11:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idaho83815

Hello,

I have built the Scenic Ridge layout and want to use a Steam Locomotive.  I would like to add DCC and sound.  I have looked at the 4-8-2 Light Mountain but heard they are iffy on the tight radius.  I heard the heavy mountain might work better, is this true?  I suppose my next choice would be the 2-8-0.  Any input or suggestions that would help better define my choice?  Again the radius is my key concern, 4% grade would be next issue. 

Thanks!

David

taz-of-boyds

The 4-8-2 might look pretty awkward on 9 3/4" curves, the 2-8-0 and shorter loco's should not look so out of place.

Charles

GlennW

You may want to modify the layout to take 11" curves & grades below 4%.

You will be restricted to 4axle diesels. You may need 2 motors for the steep 4%, or use a cheater boxcar.

TCWORLD

the 2-8-0 is a great puller. The one i had could pull 5 box cars up a 6% grade. And it shold be fine on the radii you are using
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

Idaho83815

Thanks for the replies so far.  Glenn, I appreciate your input, I only wish I could modify it but I have laid the scenery etc....  This was my first project and I am learning a lot.  Next time I will go for less grade and larger radius.  Cant tell my wife I am starting another project quite yet....

James in FL

Of the two, the Connie is the better puller out of the box.

The 9.75r for the Light Mountain is really not a problem but combined with the 4% grade it would be.
A paper shim or small piece of tape under the bearing blocks of the traction tired driver will make it a much better performer.

Robbie

I run a Kato Mikado on 9.75 with no issues.  Athearn Big Boy does it, but if the 9.75 is more than one or two Snap-Track curves long, front tender truck comes off.....

If I can get my 4-8-2 fixed, I'll let you know how that is.  As it is now, it appears to track pretty well.

I can confirm that a 2-8-0 runs well on 9.75--the local Ntrak club has a module with a 9.75" loop(possibly even less) and a 2-8-0 runs constantly around it.  Nice solid little engine.

Idaho83815

Again thanks to all for the help.  I went with the 2-8-0 and am having sound and DCC installed.  I cannot wait to run it.  I have a dcc diesel but my scene cried for steam and having sound is going to be great fun. 
Thanks again, i will keep you updated.
David

GlennW

You could always use a diesel helper. Check out any of the LL cab units, either the Alco FA 1 or 2 or the FM units. An ABBA set will pull anything on your layout. You could also use them for your heavy coal/grain trains. Just be sure to get a split frame unit. (For the money you get 4 motors pulling a freight).

If you prefer EMD power, you could also find ABBA sets from the FT, F3, F7, etc from MTL, IM, Kato.

brokemoto

The consolidated is the better puller and will look and function better on the tight radius.

Walthers sells a USRA 0-8-0.  I do not like mine, but others like theirs.

Athearn sells a nineteenth century 2-8-0 and 2-6-0.  They are copies of the old MDC design. They are good on tight curves, but the four per-cent grade is going to be a problem for those.

The SPECTRUM 2-8-0 is the best pulling of the small to average sized steam locomotives.