News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#6 Switch

Started by hotrainlover, November 15, 2008, 11:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear Board,
I have 30 engines that have no problem running on my layout.  BUT, my 0-6-0's ALL stop on my #6 customline turnout.  They run through the switch unless the engine is going slow..  Then nothing.  This is the only #6 on my pike.  My Spectrum 0-6-0t will stop on the switch, no matter what speed. :(

Any suggestions...  I would rather not replace the switch with an #4, or a#8, as I will have to redo all the tracks and scenery in the area.
Thanks,
Lee

Guilford Guy

I think a 3 axle wheelbase is long enough when going over a #6 frog. Is it possible there is paint or some other insulation on one of the points that is preventing current from flowing into it? GP's and large steam can probably get over a set of unpowered points, but a short wheelbase loco will surely stop.
Alex

Hunt

Check the electrical pickup points. All may not be making contact.

It may be necessary to power the metal frog in the Atlas Custom-Line Turnout.

If using DCC, best not to power the frog unless needed.

Joe Satnik

To follow up on what Hunt suggested:

Check the electrical connection between the each wheel and the motor: (DC power pack only.)

1. Turn your engine upside down in a padded cradle.

2. Turn the power pack on to a medium - low speed. 

3. Touch the one track wire from your power pack to any left wheel, the other track wire to any right wheel.  Try touching different wheels (left wire to a left wheel, right wire to a right wheel), until the the loco's wheels turn.   

4a. While keeping the right wire on the good right wheel, move the left wire to another left wheel.  If the motor doesn't run, you have found a bad left wheel pickup.  Repeat for the other left wheel.   

4b. While keeping the left wire on the good left wheel, move the right wire to another right wheel.  If the motor doesn't run, you have found a bad right wheel pickup.  Repeat for the other right wheel. 

Pickups are usually small metal "fingers" that wipe the back of the wheel.  Bend them until they touch, and apply a very small amount of conductive lube to the back of the wheel.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.