News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Strange loco need gear

Started by cgregory, November 20, 2008, 11:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgregory

I recently got a strange Bachman locomotive.  It is an older locomotive with one power truck with two rubber tires in front and pick-up truck in the back, both are 4 wheel trucks.

The locomotive is a Family Lines (SCL/L&N) in gray paint with red & yellow stripes.  The cab is marked "SCL 5131".  I is a typical hood locomotive with GE type wings for either the radiator or dynamic brakes.  However, it has no short hood.  The cab front is basically flat with the windshield tilted slightly back.

Can someone identify it from the above description, or do I need to send a picture?

Also, it has a power truck with black motor built in.  There are white nylon gears on metal shafts going from the motor to the wheels.  One of the gears is cracked.  How do I get the replacement gear.  Do you have an exploded view with part nos.

Thanks,
Clark

jayl1

Sounds like a BQ23-7.  This was the same engine as a B23-7 but had a large quarter(the "Q") crew cab.   There were only a few (maybe 10) made for  the Seaboard Coast Line.

This is a real oldie.  I doubt parts would be available from Bachmann but why not give the service department a call.  If parts are not available you could remove the motor & gears & have a dummy engine.  If I recall correctly these were not very good runners ( or you may get lucky & find one at a swap meet).

Good luck with it.

cgregory

That't IT!  I googled BQ23-7 and the first entry had a beautiful picture of it!

Many thanks for the reply
Clark

Conrail Quality

Try looking at Northwest Shortline's site to see if they have something that will fit.
www.nwsl.com

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Nigel

If you really like the model, and do not want to make into a dummy, get a new Bachmann B23-7 or B30-7 (make sure the side frames match yours), and swap the shells.  Some minor modifications will be required.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Running Bear

Quote from: Nigel on November 22, 2008, 02:09:45 AM
If you really like the model, and do not want to make into a dummy, get a new Bachmann B23-7 or B30-7 (make sure the side frames match yours), and swap the shells.  Some minor modifications will be required.

Dump the pancake motor and get one of the new 8 wheel drive chassis.
Running Bear

hrfcarl

Quote from: Running Bear on November 22, 2008, 11:27:44 AM
Dump the pancake motor and get one of the new 8 wheel drive chassis.

I have one of these engines.  It runs, but as stated not well:  will this shell fit on a new B23-7 chassis from Bachmann easily? 

Thanks.