News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-2

Started by Daylight4449, November 21, 2008, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

dONT COMPLAIN ABOUT LOOKS, i NEED TO KOW IF THE SY WILL run on 18 inch radius curves.

Santa Fe buff

My friend's Daylight 4449 4-8-4 made it on 18" radii, Daylight4449 ;). I'd say yes, but it won't look pretty, just don't have switches/turnouts right after a turn, they tend to hop them when they come out of the turn. So, yes, but it wouldn't look like the pictures, the rear will swing out a bit, but it should be fine. Have fun. :) I won't complain, but I do like the 2-8-2s, they look like true Baldwins!  :)
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

The Bachmann SY 2-8-2's were built in China and shipped over for use on Susquehanna(now in service on the Bel-Del) and the Valley Railroad.
Alex

SteamGene

While the 1:1 steam locomotive varied in the degree of curvature it could take in some direct proportion to its wheel base, the same is not true of models.  Just because a 4-8-4 can take an 18" radius, it does not follow that a 2-8-2 can also. 
OTOH, the SV 2-8-2 is a small Mike.  It probably can take an 18" radius and might even look fairly decent on it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I believe the SY will take a 18" radius- I'll check next week.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

WGL

My 2-8-2 BLI Heavy Mikado takes 18" curves at 110 HO mph & looks fine on them.

RAM

and only rolled four times.

Yampa Bob

That's only 110 feet per minute, actually slow even on my small layout.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Five seconds per lap on a 3 foot circle sounds good for slot cars but a tad fast for trains.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

kevin2083

I've got an AHM 0-4-0 that does a lap around the 4x8 in about 2.5 seconds......if it stays on the track that is.

My IHC 2-8-2 looks reasonable on 18" curves, so the smaller SY should look better

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

WGL

110 HO mph looks very fast to me, too fast for normal operation.  I was surprised that it didn't derail.  Bob, I wonder what top speed your fastest loco gets.

Yampa Bob

The only locos I've clocked are a couple GP40 and a FTA, about 135 with no cars.  Surprisingly they take curves like they are on rails. (pardon the pun).

I didn't like the performance or appearance of an IHC Mike and returned it. I may try out the SY on my next visit to Caboose Hobbies.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Bob,

IHC has the same history as Bachmann.  The older ones are junk.  The newer ones are much better.  I'm convinced that the beginning of good plastic steam came with the IHC USRA Heavy Mountain, which they did originally as the C&O shopping.  Any IHC loco built after that is a good buy, even with the cookie cutter flanges.  Before that - don't waste the money.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

I'd say yes, but it won't look pretty, just don't have switches/turnouts right after a turn, they tend to hop them when they come out of the turn.

No wonder my 2-8-0 and more often, passenger cars keep hopping switches

WGL

I haven't timed my BLI heavy Mikado alone.  It does 110 pulling 16-18 cars.  I wonder what differences in performance there might be between steamers & diesels, because steamers have much larger wheels.