decoder install in a "Spirit of America" engine

Started by tholthus, November 24, 2008, 12:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tholthus

I have an HO  "Spirit of America" engine that is about 5 years old and I want to take it apart and install a Digitrax DZ143 decoder.  How do I do it? How do I take it apart?  Any suggestions?

WoundedBear

I've had some success, taking apart locos, using small tools and patience. ;)

I've had success, as well, by gently throwing the loco at a sturdy wall or even gently dropping it onto a concrete floor from about 4 feet up. ;D

Whichever method you choose, you will most assuredly end up with a dismantled loco. Man, I love this hobby! :D

Sid

Jim Banner

Which "Spirit of America" locomotive do you have?  The Dash 8-40CW in H0 scale?  The 2-6-0 in 0n30 scale?  The Tyco 4-6-0 in H0?  Or ???

Did you select the DZ143 decoder on the basis of a stall current test?  Or did someone recommend it for the "Spirit of America?"  If the latter, did they recommend it for YOUR Spirit of America?  Answers to these questions can help lead to a satisfactory installation.  Without these answers, it would be a waste of time giving you detailed instructions on taking apart one locomotive when you might well have one of the others.  Mind you, Sid's second method will work with most locomotives but makes them darned hard to put back together again.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tholthus

How do I tell which "Spirit of America" model I have? I think it is about 5 years old.

Jim Banner

Let's make it simple. 
(1)  Is your locomotive a steamer or a diesel?
(2)  Was your locomotive manufactured by Bachmann or by someone else?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tholthus

It is a steamer.
It was manufactured by Bachman.