decoder install instructions for Bachmann standard 0-6-0

Started by hotrainlover, November 24, 2008, 08:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear Board,
I know that I have seen the instructions for installing a decoder, (and pictures) for this engine.  I just cannot find it.  I thought about taking the DCC-ON-Board one apart, (that I also own)  to see how Bachmann did it, but this might void the warranty....
Does anyone know where the these instructions are?
Thanks for the help.

Yampa Bob

I was told by the DCC guy at Caboose: "Don't try it".  After he explained the procedure I had to agree. The major problem is isolating the motor, which picks up power from the chassis halves.

The list at TCS said this was for the 0-6-0, but the 4-6-0 is pictured. Perhaps the procedure is the same for both.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Bachman%20Class%20B1%200-6-0.htm

Others may have a different view or actual experience.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Like Bob, I assume we are talking about the 0-6-0 with tender, not the 0-6-0T.  Unlike Bob, I don't see isolating the motor as being particularly difficult for anyone who has successfully worked on Bachmann split frame steamers or diesels before.  My personal recommendation is to add pickups to the tender wheels or use a tender that already has pickups.  They really help for low speed operation across a lot of turnouts, which is the normal operation for a switcher.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

I think the note at TCS,  "Not for the faint of heart" fit me perfectly. My threshold for pain (and patience) has dropped a lot since I hit 70.  8)

Now take Jim there, he knows the meaning of pain. (No, Jim I haven't told a soul)  :D

pdlethbridge

Jim, you have some great instructionx for doing the H16-44, but I think that is beyond me as well. It also looks like a bad idea for the faint of heart. Bob, get out of the frig!

hotrainlover

I would like to thank you all for the responses.  Yes, it is the  0-6-0 w/tender.  I have 2 of these engines, and hate to get rid of them..... 
I DID convert the Spectrum 0-6-0t.  I was intimidated until I did! (I also wish I could get another one...  HINT, HINT...Mr. B)
I want to "Practice" the decoder install on these. 
I was NOT happy when I bought the GN 0-6-0 DCC ON Board engine.  I do not like having a HUGE decoder sticking out of the cab. Therefore, I will replace it and install a DZ125 inside the unit.  I am sure it will void the warranty,  but I have been asked "What's that?" when I had company over....(Meaning the decoder)

I just hate to tear into a running DCC engine.  I just remember the saying, (If is AIN't broke...."
I may just take apart the GN 0-6-0, and see how Bachmann did it.  It IS the same engine....
Thanks again.
Remember I proper Engineer..Always fills his plate 2 times on Thanksgiving!

Yampa Bob

No,no, the model railroader's creed is:  "If it ain't fixed break it". (large hammer, place in driveway, drop onto concrete, etc)  8)

hotrainlover

pdlethbridge

richG

In my junk box I have a 0-6-0 with pancake motor and 0-6-0 with can motor. Both came with the Vandy tender which are being used elsewhere. Isolating the motor would be quite a challenge.

Rich

hotrainlover

Mr. Bachmann,
Since this is the SAME loco that you already sell...  Would you be able to have someone that IS currently converting the 0-6-0's to DC ON BOARD, to take pictures and then post them on your website.  I know you would not for "New" engines that are manufactured as DCC ON BOARD, but these are already on the market, and would not be a trade secret thing....

I would really appreciate it.  If this is not possible, you could sent the pictures to my email.

pdlethbridge

From experience, if it is not DCC ready or equipped, don't bother. It really is more work than need be done and if the loco is not a good runner in analog, it will not improve in DCC. Diesels that are DCC ready I won't attempt either as the space is really at a premium in the body. In steam you have a tender, not so with a diesel.

hotrainlover

pdlethbridge,
I beg to differ.  I have successfully converted 7 or 8 Athearn Bluebox engines, 2 Mantuas, and an unknown; that "Would not have been worth it", or as others have stated; "From experience, if it is not DCC ready or equipped, don't bother." :P
I cannot afford to replace all 35 of my engines for DCC ready, or equipped units.  Bachmann has successfully converted these SAME engines and re-sold them as a marketable item. 

RichG, I will take those engines off your hands.  Just email me off list.  My email is accessable thru this board.
Again, thanks for the help. ;D

Yampa Bob

I began this hobby only 2 years ago, and I feel very fortunate that DCC was already well established.  My first locomotive was a Spectrum 2-8-0 "on board", I liked it well enough to buy 3 more. 

At first I was reluctant to buy the "ready" models, but after installing 7 decoders, including a Tsunami, in various locomotives, I have a lot of confidence in the current plug and play technology. (not to mention gaining a bit of confidence in myself).

I don't have any DC locomotives, but if I had even one I would certainly attempt to upgrade it.  Whether or not it's "worth it" would be my decision alone.

I look at the Bachmann Mogul every time I visit Caboose Hobbies, at some point I will probably buy one and upgrade it just for my personal satisfaction. I have a lot of respect for modelers who are able to think "outside the box", and I feel I'm missing something by having never taken the challenge.

In Lee's case he has everything to gain and nothing to lose. I say "go for it". 

SteamGene

Bob,
Might I suggest buying a new issue IHC Mogul instead of the Bachmann one.  While the new Bachmann is a sweet runner, I believe, it is still a USRA 0-6-0 with added pilot wheels.  The IHC is much closer to a real Mogul.  I have an IHC Consolidation, a USRA 0-8-0, a C&O J-2 USRA Heavy Mountainand a 2-10-2.  They are all good.  Ooops - and two 4-6-4s - also good.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"