EZ Track Cross overs No. 6 and general questions

Started by lwmlwm44, November 25, 2008, 06:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

Hi can anyone help me or perhaps Mr. Bachmann.   Hopefully he is more responsive to questions than the rest of the Bachmann folks are as I have sent 4 messages to the sales area regarding these questions over the last 4 weeks and the only response I received back was a automated one from someone who was on leave and would get back with me........which no one has yet.

My question is about EZ Track  Is it code 100 or 83........I think I saw here somewhere someone mentioned all EZ Track HO is code 100.  Also Am interested in the DCC Cross ovrs No. 6 which I understand will fit other track like atlas as long as the other track is elevated and you have to removed the tab on the EZ Track........is this so.   I have several DCC Bachman Engines and the Control Center and want to incorporate the cross overs in my bench............currently my track is all 100 Atlas.

Would appreciate any assistance anyone out there can offer in these issues.

Thanks

Larry Meyers
St. Louis Missouri

Yampa Bob

Hi Larry, welcome to the board.
EZ Track is Code 100, and fully compatible with Atlas Code 100 track. If you have EZ Track, you can insert an Atlas Code 100 piece without cutting the tab off the EZ Track.  The same is true for adding EZ Track pieces to an Atlas layout. Of course you need to make a roadbed filler under the Atlas to match elevation.

In some cases you may have to make adjustments for different geometry such as turnout divergent angles and varying radii of pieces. Here are a couple threads regarding EZ Track turnout geometry.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4682.0.html

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,6549.0.html

Add the links to your favorites folder as per the following:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7136.0
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Larry,
Bob is correct. Also, be advised that the crossovers are wired for use in DCC layouts; for analog layouts you will have to add some jumper wires. Check David Harrison's fine site:
http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela_Express_The_Need_For_Speed/AE%20by%20Bachmann-Modelling%20Techniques.html
Have fun!
the Bach-man

lwmlwm44

THanks For the info Bob and the Bach-mann.   I will be using the crossovers on my new DCC line as I understand they don't work well with DC.   My DC run will be entirely separate from my DCC line.

Not having the EZ Track in my possession at this time...........still have to order them..........may I be so green as to ask how do you connect the EZ Track to Atlas 100 without removing the tabs.    I don't mind removing them as I am planning on buying a regular straight piece of EZ Track to connect to the crossovers and then remove the tab from the straight piece rather than modify the crossover itself.

Again. thanks for all the help...........I wish the sales folks from Bachmann would be more responsive.

Larry

Joe Satnik

Dear Larry,

No need to cut off the EZ-Track's tab.  Assuming you have cork roadbed under your Atlas track, just remove some of the cork in the shape of the EZ-Track's tab with an Exacto knife. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

Perhaps we should clarify that removal of the locking tab is optional. If this will be a permanent installation, then it's a matter of which is easier, carving the roadbed or cutting the tab, I would probably choose the latter. 

When you get the EZ turnout, notice that one rail joiner is "permanently" attached to the rail. The joiner may be a loose fit on the Atlas rail, in which case the joiner should be crimped a bit or replaced. Of course if you are soldering all your joints this won't present a problem.

If you need to replace the joiner, you must first cut off the two "spikes" securing the clip.  Once you get the turnout, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.   

Understand the personnel at Bachmann are oriented toward sales and service, and are not fully knowledgeable of the "nuts and bolts" of all the products.

Personally they couldn't pay me enough to do their jobs. I would probably hang a model railroader in effigy at the end of the day.  ???  Be kind to them.

lwmlwm44

Thanks Bob and Joe on clarifying the tab issue.........am using vinyl bed  for my roadbed on top of a 2 in foam board base.   May cut off the tab from the straight piece used to connect to the Atlas track and leave the tabs on the remaining EZ Track.   Then again, could cut out a piece of the road bed as suggested to accomodate the tab.   This will be a permanent installation so cutting the tab will probably be the way I go.........but it is nice to know alternatives that work.

Well getting time to finish up the Turkey here and get ready to chow down before long.

Hope everyone else has a good Day.........weather here in St. Louis is Sunny and mild.

Larry

lwmlwm44

Forgot to mention in my last post that I did finally get a response from Bachmann sales regarding track size.   The person responding had to check with their engineering department I think she said to find out.   Understand sales people have to put up with a lot of stuff and will be more kinder toward them............but if they are insales, wouldn't you think they would at least know the code of the track they are selling........oh well.

Also this thing on radius and such is still new to me and I understand that a no. 6 turnout or crossover would be better to use that a no. 5 as far as making it easier for the train to take the curves........is this true.

Larry

Yampa Bob

I think most agree the larger the turnout number the better....if you have the room. On my small layout I have to use tight turnouts to maximize siding lengths.