News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

mrc decoder and spectrum compatability

Started by chesapeake chaney, November 28, 2008, 11:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chesapeake chaney

My local hobby store trying to save money installed a mrc sound decoder in my new spectrum 482 heavy.  it will not run in dc or dcc but the sound is awesome.  it did run before he hooked up the decoder in dc.  All the engine does is sound like it chugs at 1000mph and doesn't move.  all the other  sounds are there also.  I am taking it back in again so he can try another decoder.  any thoughts before i go.  Thanks bwchaney

WoundedBear

First thought is.....get your money back, then take the loco to someone that knows what they're doing.

Sid

richG

I guess this could be a problem for you. Have the hobby shop run the loco with you watching on DC and DCC. If you have your own DCC system, take it with you. If they cannot get it to work, then insist on your money back. You might have to send it out to a DCC vendor like Litchfield Station. Others will no doubt will have better suggestions.
Good luck.

Rich

ta152h0

This sounds like it has to do with programming strt voltage, accel, decell and ending voltage. take a close look at the limits and the locomotive address. Put the locomotive on the programming track and set everything to zero and the top voltage to 32. If you are not happy, set the computer to factory settings by calling CV 125 to "1". That will restore the beast  to factory settings and run the locomotive on address 3 until it breaks in. takes a while to synchronise the styeam chuff to the actual running of the locomotive and at first, had a guy at the club help me out.

SteamGene

Did they cut the capacitors?  Installing an MRC sound decoder is very easy - the greatest difficulty might be cutting the capacitors.  If your 4-8-2 is DCC ready, then cut the capacitors.  If you removed a decoder, then it might be a capacitor problem.  However, I'm thinking the real problem is that the motor got turned off, since the sound works.  Check your instruction sheet for the CV for the motor being on or off.  There may be a trick in which case call or e-mail Frank at MRC.  For instance, if the sound goes off, hit your light button twice.  Tell Frank Gene sent you.  ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

I didn't read that Chaney has a controller capable of adjusting CVs, am I missing something here?

Even if he is just using EZ Command, there should be nothing to do but power up, select address 3 and advance the throttle!

I agree with Sid, ask for a refund!  The store owner should have confirmed that it worked before taking your money.  If the owner doesn't have the capability of checking and verifying his work then find another store.

I would also make sure the store owner restores the loco to the original running condition. Hopefully you have the component(s) he removed.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

chesapeake chaney

Thanks fellas for all the replies.  I heard from people that helped.  The engine is now runnig in dcc.  It turned out the decoder was fine but the tender I put it in was bad.  I just happened to have a spare.  So now I am breaking it in and it appears to be running fine.  I will take all advice; this current LHS is no longer on my place to shop list.  The only trouble is he is the only LHS within 50 miles.  O well I can still cybershop.  The whole rig online cost me 130 dollars not bad for a nice running and looking steamer.  And by the way the 4-8-2 does not look bad on the couple of 18 inch curves installed on my layout; most being 22 inch or greater.  Again thanks for all your concern and help. 
Sincerely brian chaney

SteamGene

May I ask what spare tender did you have it installed in?  That could be very, very important.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

Well, blow me down, that turned out to be a quick fix . My Heavy mtn does not like 18 inch curves, at least the front truck doesn't. Maybe it is a rail problem. My friends at the club tell me i have to use code 83 rail,

chesapeake chaney

Gene I had bought an extra tender the same size that the decoder is now installed in; the spectrum long tender.  Now it seems I have other problems the engine seems to stall and the lights do not work.  I am cleaning the track which somehow has gotten very dirty it seems like overnite.  I am really getting ******* off as my other steam works okay.  bwchaney

richG

It appears Bachmann should have wiring diagrams of different Spectrum tenders. There are also different color schemes for some tenders with the four wire connector. Also, a warning with the loco to not swivel a truck around. I have seen this issue in other train forums. Unfortunately, Bachmann has never been good with documentation on paper or online.
I know the Bach Man reads the forums. How much influence he has with headquarters is a good question.
I have two four wire connectors with different wiring schemes.

Rich

pdlethbridge

Standardizing the wiring should also include the same color wire as used on the decoders. So the 2 plug should be red and black ( for track ) and the 4 plug should be orange, gray, blue and white,
( motor and headlight ) It should be the same on All engines and All tenders. This use of just black and red in the tender can be very confusing unless your good with electronics. The circuit boards provided should also be the same and mounted and oriented in the same place. The frame should be metal and this would eliminate the weights so you can have more room. The coal loads should be designed for speakers, IE, numerous holes in the coal load to let sound out and a ring, with removable bottom with wire holes, built into the bottom of the load to accept a 1" speaker.

ta152h0

In my opinion, turning the truck around 180 degrees does nothing more than put the pickups on the same side and nothing will work, unless the locomotive is grounded somewhere and you will get smoke if both pickups are on the hot side. However, if the axles are turned on the same truck, then you have a real problem. that is why, elsewhere on the forum, it was noted to use an ohmeter on the track with the locomotive in palce prior to powering up.

chesapeake chaney

More problems.  I still have no lights and i appear to have a first generation tender as there is no capacitor to be found.  I tried programming cv29 to 7 and still no lights.  Also what does everyone program the first five cv's to,to get the best and smoothest performance from these engines.  as always replies are most heartily welcome  chesapeake chaney