News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

can someone explain the diff radius

Started by pamardon, December 01, 2008, 10:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pamardon

hi
i'm new at this... I was wondering about the different radios and what will be the smallest circumference.
also i want to make a railroad with elevation and i would like to know what would me the maximum inclination.

jayl1

Bachmann makes N gauge EZ track in 11.25 and 19 inch radius.  Therefore a circle would be 22.5" or 38" in diameter.  This track is on a plastic base and snaps together - nice for a layout to put up & down.

Atlas makes N gauge track in 9.75", 11" and 19" radius so - 19.5", 22" or 38" diameter circles.  This track should be nailed down to keep it together.  Atlas also makes a version of the Bachmann track called "Tru-Track".

There are many other lengths of straight tracks to add - too many to list here as well as switches.

I'll leave the elevation question to others, BUT I would not advise one on a small layout.  The height needed might cut down the length of a train you can run on the grade.

pamardon

so what do you think will be the smallest layout that can include an elevation?

Hunt

Realize curve track radius is measured to the centerline of the track. So multiple track radius by two and add the width of the track including roadbed to obtain outside measurement.

If you have locomotive that can pull train up a 2% grade you need 100 inches flat run to rise track 2 inches. 

^   
                              ^  2 inches
-----------------------
<  100 inches             >       

jprince46

I have built a 2 x 4 foot layout in N scale with elevations. 

An ideal grade is 2 degrees, but that takes approximately 8 feet to get from 0 to 2".  Depending on the engines and number of cars, a 4% grade would be tolerable - but not advisable.

Here is a link for Mikes track plans.  Lots of good ideas.

http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm

You need the latest version of Atlas Track planning software (free at Atlasrr.com) to view and edit the layouts.

Hope this helps

Jim

GlennW

Quote from: pamardon on December 01, 2008, 10:46:15 AM
hi
i'm new at this... I was wondering about the different radios and what will be the smallest circumference.
also i want to make a railroad with elevation and i would like to know what would me the maximum inclination.

A radio is a different thing. AM or FM. No sirius or digital.

With the 11.25radius curve, 3 will make a 12" corner. 6 will make 2 12" ends, or 24" wide.
With the 19" radius curve, you will need 6 to make a corner, 12 to make an end. This will fill a 40" end. You want to keep any track at least 4" from the edge of the world.

taz-of-boyds

circumference = 2 * 3.14 * radius
The length of track around a complete circle (360 degrees)
Charles