Spectrum 4-6-0 - keeping the tender wheels on the track

Started by Texanator, December 05, 2008, 09:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texanator

Just got a new 4-6-0 with 63 drivers.  Awesome!  Having a little trouble keeping the front wheels of the tender down and on the track.  Seems like the wires between the tender and engine are pushing the coupling aside and lifting the tender.  Any secret to how to hook up the engine and tender?  Right now I have the coupling between the two sets of wires.   Many thanks!

Yampa Bob

First, bend the drawbar so it rides in the center of the post, not lifting up or pulling down the tender front, next the tender could probably use some added weight.

To keep the drawbar on the post, slip on a short piece of 1/16" inside diameter silicone model car/airplane fuel tubing.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Tex,
You can adjust the length of the wire harness by removing the tender shell and shifting the knot.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Atlantic Central

Tex,

All of the above! Check the drawbar, ajust as needed. Arange the wiires to not interfere with the draw bar. And, add about an 1/2 to 1 ounce of weight to the tender.

Sheldon.

richG

If you decide to open the tender, here is a photo of where the single screw is. Lift the front of the shell and there are hooks for the rear of the shell.

Rich

Texanator

Good stuff guys!  I have played a bit with the wiring harness as directed.  Seems to do the trick.  Engine even runs backwards now without pushing the tender off the track.  Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Yampa Bob

Even though you have it running ok now, you will have better overall performance if you add some weight as suggested.

If you plan to remove the tender shell, look at the wheel first, mark it on one end with a Sharpie or piece of tape, reinstall it EXACTLY in the original orientation.  If the wheelset is turned 180 degrees,  you will have a short.

Also, be sure not to lose, bend or damage the bronze wiper, as it will fall off with one wheel removed.

SteamGene

Before I remove tender wheels or trucks, I take some white paint and paint a stripe on the axles and a matching stripe on the tender bottom.  That way I have no trouble getting wheel/txruck back in the same location.  BTW, it's not necessarsy to remove any truck before taking a Bachmann tender apart. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

richG

Ok, I see the difference between my 4-6-0 tender and the one Bob posted. I have the smaller tender and it was a little difficult getting to the one screw with a screwdriver without removing the wheel set. I always look for the insulated wheel before inserting the wheel set.

Rich

Yampa Bob

If I shorten the USRA 7/16" (IC style) then the wheel has to be removed for access to reinsert screw.