News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Series Locomotive

Started by bry, December 07, 2008, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bry

Last year I bought a Bachmann Railking starter set, product #00657, in HO scale.  It has worked great and I have really enjoyed it.  This year for my birthday, I bought a Spectrum Series J Class 611 Steam locomotive, product #82122, with DCC on board.  When I try to run this locomotive on the Railking set, the performance is terrible.  The locomotive barely pulls forward, much less adding a train to it.  Moving backwards is only slightly better.  Is the Spectrum Locomotive compatable with the starter speed control in the Railking set, or does it sound like there may be a problem with the the locomotive?  If anyone can help, I would appreciate the advice.  Thanks.

SteamGene

You are using DC, correct?  Have you tried removing the decoder from the N&W J and installing the DC plug? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

bry

Thanks for the reply SteamGene, but I do not have a clue what you are talking about.  This is the first DCC locomotive I have had and it did not come with any paperwork.  Would you know a website where I can get info on what DCC is and what it does?

Daylight4449

should not matter. I have a 2-8-0 dcc on board and it works fine. check the curves

Yampa Bob

Go to this site, look for item #2, "DCC for Beginners" in PDF format.  

http://www.tonystrains.com/

Bachmann DCC equipped locomotives will run on DC power out of the box. Your new locomotive might just need breaking in. Run it at varying speeds for about 15 minutes and it should loosen up.  If it doesn't, report back and someone will help you.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.