News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My New K4 Won't Run

Started by weebeasty, December 20, 2008, 11:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weebeasty

I'm having no luck getting my new fresh out the box Spectrum Pacific to even budge.  I have tried it on two different layouts with similar results.  I am able to run other locomotives on the same layouts (but now all the trains are running slower.)   I have an MRC 280 Controller and and old Tyco 6V. Controller and tried them both to run the K4.  Before I go to the trouble of returning the the locomotive and the MRC controller can someone suggest a possible cause for this problem. 
I am also going to try and run the K4 on layouts that have 18 radius curves even though the recommended minimum for this locomotive is 22.  Is that OK?

the Bach-man

Dear Wee,
Check to make sure the tender wires are securely plugged into the sockets.
Is it a sound or non-sound?
Thanks!
the Bach-man

weebeasty

Hi Bach-man,

This is a non-sound K4.  I checked the plug connections and they are secure.  I accidently checked the connection while the locomotive was on the track not realizing the the power was on.  When I lifted the tender the locomotive wheels began to spin!  One of the wipers on the tender came free followed by the other.  Now the locomotive is operating normally.  I decided not to run the the the locomotive with the wipers off the tender for fear of damaging the unit.  What is going on?

Thanks very much,
Weebeasty

jayl1

Check the wheels on the tender.  Sometimes one gets reversed causing a short circuit so the engine won't move.

ta152h0

take a close look at the wheels in each truck of the tender. The insulating collar ( black ) should be on one side of the truck in front and opposite on the rear truck. Before applying power, use an ohmeter and measure resistance between the two rails with the locomotive on the track. You should read something in the order of 32 ohms or so. Zero ohms indicates a short. Infinite resistance indicates the trucks are on the same side and you need to rotate one 180 degrees. Good luck

the Bach-man

Dear Wee,
I agree. It's likely one or more wheelsets is reversed; possibly one truck has rotated 180 degrees.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

Hi Wee
I posted some pictures and a diagram that show typical tender truck/wheelset orientation and wiring.   

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

As noted in the diagram, I have found several tenders with the wheelsets reversed, but the wiring was changed to compensate.  It is possible that the wheelsets are correct, but the wiring is incorrect in the tender. If so, the fix is easy, just reverse the wheelsets as shown in the "variant" diagram.

I would suggest you remove the tender shell and trace the wiring to the pickups. Notice in the diagram that the loco right rail pickup, and the tender right rail pickup must be connected to the same terminal on the PC board.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

weebeasty

Thank you to all for your responses!  I will look at those trucks and make sure they are lined up correctly.  I don't have a meter yet...that's on the list.  The Spectrum K4 is a beautiful locomotive and I am glad to not have to return it.

My PRR Pacific is still having trouble negotiating the 18" radius curves (especially with my old time short coaches attached.)  Can I try anything to get it to go around those tighter then recommended curves?  It does worse on the E-Z Track.  I have the track running on a pier kit so I think part of the problem is getting the the piers spaced evenly (a lot porpoising going on.)   Otherwise I will have to rethink my layout.  Any sugestions for a small layout (4x6 tops) using 22" radius curves?

Again, thank you and Merry Christmas

SteamGene

You can use 22" sectional track on a Yx4 layout.  The rails along the Y side will be very close to the edge.  I'd suggest erecting some sort of a barrier along it to prevent a derailement turning into a suicide dive.   
The ONLY way to make a loco take a smaller than recommended radius curve is to make it go VERY slowly around the curves - and even that might not work.
BTW, Bachmann now makes two K4s - a PRR heavy Pacific and a C&O Kanawha.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"