News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Vintage 2-8-0 wheel woes

Started by blue92rs, December 22, 2008, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue92rs

Hello, I am new here. I recently unearthed my old HO collection from 20 + years ago. Among my locomotives is a Bachmann 2-8-0 steam unit. Someone told me it may be an I-1. After all this time, the motor runs great, but the wheels seem to bind. I took it all apart to clean/lubricate, and I cannot see where the problem may be. All the linkage looks to be in plumb, but they do not roll smoothly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jim Banner

Twenty plus years ago could make your 2-8-0 either a Plus version of the Consolidation or the even older "Sidewinder" flat motor version.  The problem most likely is one or more axles loose inside the wheel hubs, possible from split hubs or possibly from using the wrong oil.  If even one axle is loose, the wheel go out of quarter and the side rods jam up.  You can often repair the problem by Crazy gluing the axles into the hubs.  But (and this is a BIG BUT) you have to clean all of the oil out of the hub and off the axle first.  Next you have to add a drop of Crazy glue inside the hub.  And then IMMEDIATELY insert the axle and set the wheels in quarter before the Crazy glue sets.

Personally, I would attempt this repair only if the locomotive were a Plus version with a can motor and a large brass worm gear.  If it were a Sidewinder, I would not wast time on it as I have never seen one that ran quietly and well.  Your results may differ. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jayl1

The old 2-8-0s are copies of a Reading Railroad I-10sa.  As Jim stated, they were nopt good runners.  Bowser also makes a kit to remotor them at a retail price of about $80.  This is a craftsman kit.

SteamGene

If you are the original owner, returning it to Bachmman with the $25 repair few will get you a new Spectrum 2-8-0.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

Quote from: SteamGene on December 24, 2008, 09:48:14 AM
If you are the original owner, returning it to Bachmman with the $25 repair few will get you a new Spectrum 2-8-0.
Gene

What ??? and lose all the charming weathering that has taken so long to produce ? ;D