News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to DCC

Started by BenjiGranddad, December 23, 2008, 10:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

The one I got at NAPA is from "Regal", part number 51657.  Regal is the company that imports cheap mechanic tools you see in bargain bins at hardware and auto parts stores.  Everything in the bin is $8 or $9, all kinds of tools, just scrambled in piles you have to sort through to find stuff. We had to practically empty the bin to find the meter at the bottom of the pile, in a blister pack.

Apparently the vendor that refills the bins isn't servicing your local store. Check around at other stores, maybe you can find one hidden in a bin somewhere.

If not, the $8 price at the link I gave is a good deal, even having to pay $5 or so for shipping. They could probably send 2 for the same shipping charge.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

or go to widget supply

CNE Runner

I bought a couple of really cheap multimeters at my favorite Chinese tool store (Harbor Freight) and got them for about what Yampa Bob paid for his (we keep one near my workbench and one on the motor home). Try www.harborfreight.com and see if they have what you want.

Happy Holidays,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

Thanks Ray
Check this out, even has a separate on/off switch.  On mine, I have to turn the dial to the off position.  At this price, there is no excuse for modelers to not have one. (or two).  What the heck, I'm ordering one for my wife, nice colors.    8)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

is that for her to check to see if your heart is still working? ;D ;D ;D ;D

richG

I put this in another thread but I have realized some people do not read all the messages.

For those not familiar with multimeter's, here are a bunch of links. Pick out the ones you like and save them to your favorites folder. pass them one when you see a new modeler having electrical issues.
Lets all help the model railroad community. It is apparent that meter's are a very useful tool for those moving into DCC as well as DC layouts.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ned=us&q=model+railroad+multimeters&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

Rich

WGL

Thanks, all, for the information about where to find inexpensive digital multimeters.  No wonder online sales did much better this Christmas than sales in stores on the street!