News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to DCC

Started by BenjiGranddad, December 23, 2008, 10:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenjiGranddad

Benji has a new DCC (Santa Fe F-7) train.  It runs fine, but I've not been able to find the right function to blow a whistle.  Do all trains not have this function?  I would think this would be a standard on any train???  Thanks.

BG

richG

It would help to know what DCC controller you are using. Or are you using just a DC power pack?

Rich

Joe Satnik

Is your loco sound equipped?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

CNE Runner

A quick check on whether or not your locomotive is sound equipped is to put the locomotive on the rails with the DCC unit turned off (you do know that you should never rail a DCC-equipped engine with the power on don't you?..good!). After making sure all wheels are on the rails - turn on the DCC unit. You should hear either the sound of steam/air escaping. No sound? Your locomotive probably doesn't have a sound decoder. You might want to try this on several spots, on your layout, as there may be track problems. This method isn't foolproof but it is quick and easy. Good luck.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BenjiGranddad

Thanks to all.  I do not know if the loco sound-equipped, or not.  Is there some way to tell other than CNE Runner's suggestion?  Can I get a sound decoder for the loco?  By the way, the controller is the 10-space Bachman unit.  Thanks, again.

BG

Hunt

What is the Bachmann Item No. on the box?

SteamGene

Assuming this is a new loco and Bachmann, the box should have one of three phrases:
DCC Ready
DCC Equipted
DCC Sound Equipted

Unless the box has the last statement it is either ready for a NMRA standard 8 pin decoder (the first one) or has a Bachmann non-sound decoder installed. 
BTW, diesels don't whistle - they honk.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

CNE Runner

You can convert (or better yet - have someone who knows what they are doing convert) just about any locomotive to DCC. As was mentioned: if the box says "DCC ready" you are dealing with essentially a "plug and go" installation. If not, the process definitely gets more complicated because the motor may not be insulated from the locomotive's frame. Again, this isn't the end of the line as I had Tony's Train Exchange install a sound decoder in a brass 2-8-0 that was at least 30 years old. All it takes is talent and money. The problem is that your locomotive may not be worth it. How about considering one of the newer Bachmann, Proto 2000, Athearn or Atlas engines? Many of these engines are available in DCC-ready or DCC/Sound varients at attractive prices.

I don't know what specific model diesel you have; but I checked MR and found an ad that advertised an Athearn GP-35 that is DCC-ready and would be a snap to add the appropriate decoder. Check the model railroad discounters and see what they are offering...this is a dismal economy - so you may just luck out.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

the Bach-man

Dear Grandad,
None of our diesel locos have sound at this time. There are diesel sound decoders available from Soundtraxx.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

lmackattack

and a simple soulition to add sound would to buy a "dummy" B unit that has space to install the sound unit and speaker. Soundtraxx makes some nice stuff. just remember decoder will not make a cheap or poor running engine run any better. if you going to shell out the $ for sound I advise putting it into a good runner that looks and performs well. 

pdlethbridge

Did you notice the slip of Bachmann's tongue. Not at this time.  How soon in the future could we expect a diesel with sound?

the Bach-man

Dear Paul,
Not a slip at all- we don't have sound diesels now, but someday we may. I hope we will.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

richG

Some of the Spectrum steam locomotives are equipped with a SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder for train control and sound. I suspect Bachmann is looking into something for the diesels. Just a WAG. I do know from the Yahoo SoundTraxx DCC group, there are a few issues being ironed out since their diesel decoders you buy and install yourself, have recently been released. . Another WAG is Bachmann may have diesel sound in 2009. Makes sense. I think it has only been maybe a year since Bachmann started selling steamers with the SoundTraxx sound decoder. When they come out with sound, this would probably be the way to go as you need soldering skills and some mechanical experience for some installations.

You can use Google and search for say DCC diesel sound. You will get many hits. You will find a lot of reading.

Also, get yourself an inexpensive digital multimeter from Radio Shack, Home Depot or Lowe's. Even if you do not go into DCC for a while, it will help you in troubleshooting as people here will ask you if you made any checks with a meter. Makes things a lot easier.

Good luck.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Today I picked up another DMM at NAPA for $8.00. It never hurts to have a spare. It looks just like this one:
http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/dt830bf.htm

If all modelers would make a few simple tests before asking here, we would be better able to help them.  I don't understand why modelers are reluctant to buy them, they are very simple to use.

Troubleshooting is easy, just eliminate what works and concentrate on what doesn't work.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Quote from: Yampa Bob on December 27, 2008, 01:27:23 AM
Today I picked up another DMM at NAPA for $8.00. It never hurts to have a spare. It looks just like this one:
http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/dt830bf.htm

At last, someone reported a good deal at a store that exists in our town! I went to our NAPA in search of that $8.00 digital multimeter.  I even showed the man the stock number of the one on your link, Bob.  He looked at the multimeters hanging on his wall:  DMM $40; Analog MM, $20.  He checked his computer; he checked his sale circular.  $40 is the best he can do.  He said different stores in the chain may access different suppliers.  Here's one store that isn't slashing prices to move merchandise!   :(