News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax-Not working-

Started by rockpileava, December 27, 2008, 01:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockpileava

My 9 year old son just tried to run his Christmas present locomotive.  It is a Spectrum Climax loco and he is very disappointed that the engine appears to be dead. 

The only life it shows is that when the jumpers are installed and it is run on 00, both lights come on.  However, there is none of the engine noise that we hear when his Shay and Heisler are run on 00.
When we install the decoder in the Climax, it is completely dead (not even a light comes on).

Does anyone have a suggestion... or should I send this new engine to Bachmann.

Thank you,
mp

richG

I was not aware that the HO Climax came with sound. The last I knew, it was DCC on board which is control only, no sound. Does the packaging say anything about sound? I know some people have bought a loco labeled DCC and assumed sound was included.

Rich

rockpileava

My original message was not clear.  When I referred to the engine "not making any noise" I was referring to the actual electrical motor noise that a DCC ready engine makes when run on a 00 DCC system.  I was not referring to a DDC sound system. 

So, to restate the problem.  There are no lights and no electrical motor operation when the decoder is installed.  When the decoder is removed and the jumpers are installed, both the forward and back lights operate but the electric motor does not operate.

Thank you

richG

Check the wiring. With a multimeter on ohms, touch the probes to a wheel on each side and you should see about 100 ohms which is the motor resistance. At least that is about what I see for my Spectrum locos. Make sure the adapter is in place, not the decoder. It sounds like defective wiring or defective motor. Unfortunately, you cannot assume a loco will run correctly right out of the box. This stuff is made in China.
According to what I see in various mrr forums, Bachmann has a rather poor batting average. Quite a few returns and repairs by some modelers who did not want to send the loco back for replacement.

Rich

WoundedBear

The worst part is, that if you do indeed return the Climax to Bachmann, and it cannot be repaired, you will get a Shay as replacement. The HO Climax is long out of production.

You would be best to see if you cannot isolate the problem.....which sounds like a short.....and repair it yourself.

Trace each wire along it's length carefully and take note if it is pinched or cracked anywhere.

Sorry we can't give any better news than what we have, but such is life when you own an HO Climax.  I recently purchased an old stock Climax, locally, and have my fingers crossed that it does run, once I get the new layout built.

BTW....if you do manage to bring it to life, operate it slowly as there is a whole seperate issue with their drivelines.

Sid

richG

Don't forget to let the group know of a solution as this might help others. In different forums, many people find a solution and never tell the world. You have to remember, you are part of a large community when you get into forums.

Rich

rockpileava

I am reporting back as requested....
richG... I used a multi meter and read the resistance across the motor.  It checked out at about the same as the Bachmann Shay we have at 105.

I also supplied connected a DC 00 transformer directly to the motor and got nothing.  I suspect the motor is dead....

Since I purchased this engine on Ebay as a Christmas gift for my son, I am not hopeful that the seller will take it back.  This means that I will be sending it back to Bachmann.  I am gathering from the comments left by "WoundedBear" that they will not fix this problem and that I will end up with another Shay.

If any of you have any suggestions of a location that would be willing to fix this "new" climax, please let me know.

Thank you.

richG

It sounds like a jammed gear reduction. Shays and Climax locos are noted for cracked gears that lock up. Sorry, I cannot think of anything more.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear Rock,
I'm afraid I have more bad news- unless you purchased the loco from a Bachmann dealer (in which case they should accept a return) the warranty specifically excludes eBay purchases, as dishonest people will often sell locos they know are dead.
I hope this is not the case with your Climax!
Good luck!
the Bach-man

Spuds

I have a Climax that just died too.
Ran great really last spring, but ran like crap until it stopped all together one day last week.
The motor runs but the little devil won't move forward or back
Just sent a note off to Bachmann last ev evening with a request for "HELP"...
Puffin' & Chuggin', JB

richG

The Climax and Shay gear issue has been discussed quite a lot here. Even some On30 versions have the gear issue. Here are some links that discuss this. The threads die after a while with no solution.

These locos are made in China and resolving issues like cracked gears is not easily solved.
Be glad there is no Melanine in the locos.  :)

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=search2

There does not appear to be a solution on the horizon.

Rich

rockpileava

Thank you everyone for your comments.  I will update you and answer some of your questions.  I purchased the Climax on Ebay from a private party so now I know that there will be no warranty.  The item was sold as "mint brand new" and I believe it was.    There are no signs of wear on the engine, gears or drivetrain.

I have isolated the motor from all the external gears and it simply does not respond to power.  However, it also does not show any sign of a short.

So, I have a great parts engine for everything but the motor.  Since most of the comments on this board are about failed gears in the drive system then I guess there is some value there.

Thank you again for all your comments

richG

I am sure your son is disappointed. I would suggest you buy a Spectrum 4-4-0, or 4-6-0 or 2-8-0 with sound. Make sure the curves are ok for a 2-8-0. Micro Mark has good prices and service. There are a couple other online companies with good prices and service. If you have a local hobby shop, you might pay more but they can test it for you first. At least your son will be happy which is important.
I guess I would stay away from ebay. Possibly The Favorite Spot on ebay might be ok.
Not even sure of them now.

Here are some links concerning the Climax.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ned=us&q=spectrum+climax+cracked+gears&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

A company that makes a lot of gears for modelers has been sent a Spectrum Shay which also has the gear issue.

I understand it is an idler gear but not haven seen the gears, I have no idea.

The new owner of NWSL  is looking into the issue but makes no promises. I would send him an email. If enough people who own the Climax and Shay contact him, it "might" inspire him. All it will cost you to contact him is a few minutes of your time. I read his introductory message on a different forum.
http://www.nwsl.com/
I almost bought a Climax and Shay but after reading different forums, I passed.

Good luck. Hope the litttle guy is happy.,

Rich

Added.

Just remembered that you have other locos. I did not have your message in front of me.

Rich

WoundedBear

Rich.......

I wouldn't pass up owning a Shay because of a few problems. I have 4 that run flawlessly and just bought a sound equipped one from Micro-mark not too long ago.

At least the Shays can be repaired or replaced. (At this moment, that is)

I also wouldn't pass on a Climax either, if you can find one. Like I said earlier, I just found one in a local dealer's stock a few weeks ago and snagged it. The one I already had, that does run, runs like a fine watch. I hope the newest one lives as well. They look really, really good when doubleheaded.

Sid

rockpileava

I guarantee that somehow, someway my 9 year old will end up with a Climax.  He has a Shay and a Heisler.  The Climax is apparently a must have for him so that he can have a complete geared collection.  He is already asking for a list of chores in order to raise the funds.

On Tuesday I plan to take apart the Climax.  I am doubtful that I will be able to fix it but I plan to at least find the problem.