To ballast or not to ballast

Started by Mr.Train, December 28, 2008, 02:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Train

As you have advanced in the hobby do you wish that you had done your own ballast work the first time  or do you think that would be best left for another day?

jayl1

I waited until I was sure the trackwork was operable with no problems (dead spot, out of gauge, bad turnout, etc.).

Jim Banner

If you ballast, be sure to use water soluble glue.  This includes most white glues.  Then when you want to lift a section of track or an appliance, just soak the ballast with warm, slightly soapy water and the ballast will soften.  Then you can slip a putty knife under the track, turnout or whatever, and remove it for reuse.  Additional soaking overnight in the bath tub and a gentle application of a used tooth brush will usually restore the track and appliances to as new condition.  Just one caution - remove switch motors from turnouts before the overnight soak.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

I am considering ballasting, but keep thinking there must be a better way than pouring gravel on my nice clean layout.   :D  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Mr.Train

Alright so I should get my track down first and check for problems and then ballast.Got it.
;D :D ;) :)