Bachman Thunder bolt HO Electric Train set...HELP????

Started by tjordan, December 28, 2008, 07:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjordan

We purchased this set for my little boy last christmas and he has put it up and used it several times...we built a set for him to put it on, went ahead and started to set the tracks up and the train will not move.  When plugged in, the light comes on, but when you go to increase the speed, nothing happens from 0 to 100....can anyone help me with any ideas on what we need to do?  thanks so much!

Yampa Bob

Hi KT,
The light should not come on until the throttle is turned up a ways from the off position. If this is true for your loco, does the light get brighter as you turn the throttle all the way up?

If the light is on, power is reaching the locomotive's light/board but perhaps not to the motor.  Turn the throttle full and put your ear next to the loco. Does it hum, or sound like the motor is running? If it hums and gets louder as you advance the throttle the drive mechanism may be jammed.  If it sounds like the motor is turning freely you may have a cracked gear.

If the motor makes no sound, remove the body shell and check the wiring to the motor brush terminals. If the wiring is ok, the motor may be burned out or has faulty or misaligned brushes.

It would help you to troubleshoot the problem if you have one of these, or similar. It is so simple to use your little boy can quickly learn how to use it, then teach you. (just kidding).  :D 

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899

Suggest rounding off the sharp probe tips a bit to avoid injury and supervise use.

You can also make a handy test light by purchasing a 12 volt grain of wheat bulb from Radio Shack, and soldering the wires to two small nails or straightened paper clips, but obviously supervise the use of small metal objects. You might already have an automotive type light tester with alligator clip and probe.

Check out a few things and let us know the results.

Good luck.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

RAM

If you remove the body shell and check the wiring to the motor brush terminals. Try turning the motor.  It may have dirt under the brushes.

Guilford Guy

Is the controller square shaped with rounded corners, and a large knob in the center, or a boxy rectangular shape?
Alex