Son and I new to N Scale (Help with Figure 8)

Started by Billiumss, January 03, 2009, 10:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billiumss

Hello guys and (hopefully girls),

My name is Bill.  My son Zachary got a new Bachmann N scale Thunder Valley train set for Christmas. Lets just say he is VERY excited. Even though he is only 7 years old, he treats the new train set very good. We decided to go with N scale to save space. We also have a few HO trains along with a 2 Lionel sets, one from 1957 and our newest from 2008.

The goal is to have a really cool N scale layout, then have a HO loop around the N Scale and then an O Scale Lionel around the HO Scale. That way we can have all 3 major train scales on one board.

He got extra EZ track so we can do a unique layout but first we need to do a "compact" figure 8 layout. I bought a 30 degree cross and it won't work, do I need a 60 degree cross track? All of our curves are 11 1/4" (same that came with the set)

Is there a easy way to learn the angle and degrees when it comes to model train tracks? Any online tutorials?

How many and exactly what EZ N Scale track pieces do I need to make a "compact" figure 8? I really don't want to use a 90 degree cross or a over-under.

Thanks for reading, I'll be in here often..

Bill

westsidelumber12

Hello, Bill, today i also bought a Thunder Valley train set, but i think what your asking is what crossover you need to a figure eight, i believe you must have 90 degree crossover to make a figure 8, the only other option would be you get some smaller n scale e-z track curves and tighten up the curve to negotiate with a smaller crossover, hope this helps!
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

the Bach-man

Dear Bill,
The most compact figure eight will indeed require a 90 degree crossing; you mau also have to trim some sections with a track saw. I'm sure an active N Sscaler will have specifics.
Have fun!
the Bach-man