News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD-45 Shell Removal

Started by trainman75, January 09, 2009, 02:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman75

I recently acquired a Spectrum SD-45 (Item No. 82706).  How can the body shell be removed?  I removed the fuel tank cover and two screws were revealed, but it does not seem that these have anything to do with retaining the shell.  The details on this locomotive are quite fragile and I do not want to damage them out of ignorance.  Your help is appreciated!

Yampa Bob

Hi Trainman,

Did you mean to write item 82716?  No biggee, just curious.

Please refer to the exploded diagram that came with your locomotive. It appears the two screws under the fuel tank fasten the motor mount to the metal casting.  If so, they will be in line, and should not be removed.

Notice there are two more screws near the ends, try loosening them a bit to see if the shell will then move.  These screws may also secure the coupler boxes.

If you can't find the diagram, you can view or download it here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/references.php

It would help if the factory circled and/or labeled the body shell screws on the diagram. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear 75,
The screws do, in fact, secure the shell. You may also have to remove the couplers to release the shell.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

trainman75

Thanks for your inputs.

Here is how it's done:

The body shell is held in place by the two coupler boxes.
1. Remove both coupler assemblies from the engine by removing the mounting screws, then pulling out the coupler and box.
2. Disengage the alternator (simulated) plastic wire from one of the lead trucks by gently prying it loose from the truck.
3. Carefully pry the body shell away (upward) from the chassis keeping an eye on the alternator wire so it does not snag.

That's it!

Yampa Bob

Trainman,

Good description, now that you know the procedure, you can help others who have the same question.  8)

Thank you.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Thanks, Trainman!  Now I'll know how to remove the shells from my two Spectrum SD45s should the need arise.

I'm glad it doesn't involve removing the fuel tank, because the plastic clips holding the tank in place are fragile.  My first SD45 apparently had a cracked clip when it arrived, because the tank was never firmly in place.  When the tank began to drag on the rails, I discovered the cause & glued the clip.

Bill