News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mine headhouse

Started by SteamGene, January 12, 2009, 04:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Okay, coal mning experts, I have a problem.  The VT&P serves two coal tipples - one originally planned the other comes from plan revision by not building the second helix.  The additional one will be no problem - the conveyer belts will come from the mountain behind the tipple.  But the original plan just will not function with a mountain - the mine must have a vertical shaft and the conveyers need to go from that headhouse to the tipple.  I figure it needs to be one or two stories high at the most.  Any idea of a kit that can be used/bashed to make a headhouse?  Or should I try using DPM/Walther's wall sections to make the headhouse? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

As you may know, vertical shaft coal mines are quite common in the area of your prototype. Many have/had loading tracks and sorting machinery built right in their head house, but with a remote tipple, a typical mine would look similar to a wooden enclosed grain elevator like the one from Campbell Scale Models, #200-384 in the Wathers Catalog. Conveyors would obviiously be connected at the highest section of the building.

And many of these mines are in the flatest areas you can find, so the area need not be rugged or "mountainous". Many times the company "town" was built right near the mine head. While the kids where in school and mom did the wash, dad and son where 300' directly below - diggin' coal.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I'll take a look at that kit, Sheldon.  I have drawings of the headhouse at Nuttalburg, WV which resembles a one story WWII army barracks!  Yes, there is a row of the three company houses built by City Classics on the road going towards the tipple with the town further along - it doesn't look like a company town because the town was there before the mines came.  It's called Hannahville, after my granddaughter, who is not particularly impressed with it. <g>
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Yes, almost any simple wood structure depending on the specific situation would be correct.

As for the towns, they did mine under others property if they could get the mineral rights.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Walthers has a plastic clone on sale now.  I think I might get it and do some bashing.  It should work and look more realistic than a mountain jutting up to absorb conveyer belts.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtnut

Coal mines were essentially one of three types - drift, slope, or shaft.  A drift mine went essentially straight back into the hillside; with a slope mine, the shaft went down at a fairly shallow angle.  Shaft mines had a vertical shaft that went straight down to the coal seams.  With a shaft mine, you need a lifting system--usually an elevator to lift the coal out and drop the miners down.  These elevators usually took the form of a "half-A" frame, with a big sheave wheel (or two) at the top.  The lifting frame could be partly enclosed within the headhouse so the coal could be dumped directly into the loading bins.  I believe Kibri makes such a unit.  See the Walthers catalog.

SteamGene

I know that - so the grain elevator will work with the sheave wheel hidden at the top of the tower. The kit fits the available area - or so it seems and the door for grain delivery will make an excellent door for supply delivery - tools, dynamite, lumber, etc. 
Thanks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on January 12, 2009, 04:11:46 PM
Okay, coal mning experts, I have a problem.  The VT&P serves two coal tipples - one originally planned the other comes from plan revision by not building the second helix.  The additional one will be no problem - the conveyer belts will come from the mountain behind the tipple.  But the original plan just will not function with a mountain - the mine must have a vertical shaft and the conveyers need to go from that headhouse to the tipple.  I figure it needs to be one or two stories high at the most.  Any idea of a kit that can be used/bashed to make a headhouse?  Or should I try using DPM/Walther's wall sections to make the headhouse? 
Gene

The illustration is on the small side unfortunately. The old Suydam kit updated.

http://www.alpinemodels.com/catalog/item/2762608/2379645.htm

found another picture

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/apd/apd17.htm

Pacific Northern

SteamGene

Nice looking building.  Maybe I'll make the other a vertical mine, too. <g>  Thanks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

The Walthers kit came today.  I've cut out the two openings for the coal conveyrs.  I'll use strip styrene for the framing around the opening.  It'll be painted in the JP Mine company colors - which is an off shade of green, bought cheap from the reject rack, :D  Trim is basic white.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat