News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opinions on train shows.

Started by Neo Fender, January 19, 2009, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Fender

Are they good places to buy "low risk" items, e. g. used rolling stock and track?  I've attended one show and found vendors prices competitive on some new items but not all.

Thanks.

Jim Banner

One advantage of buying used equipment at trains shows (as opposed to say eBay) is that you can run it, look it over carefully, ask questions, and determine if it right for you at the price asked.  You can also haggle or wait till near the end of the show to make a counter offer. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

The only show I have ever attended is the Big E show in West Springfield, MA. Since I model 1900 I do not always find what I am looking for. Still, there are many layouts, demonstrations, Clinics, and scales represented.
Click on the link in a message concerning the Big E show and look though all the info, layouts, vendors, clinics, etc.

Rich

Paul W.

They are hit and miss. There are times I go to shows and walk out with only a few items. Then there are times when I make multiple trips out to our truck. At the large scale show in York last year, I found a car that I had been looking for, yes it was used and needed some work, but it was part of a collection of rolling stock I have. I thought he was asking too much, so I offered less and was told "no way". I was OK with that, but when I went back on the second day, I picked it up for less than I was willing to pay on the first day.
Timing is everything, and sometimes you find your pot of gold, sometimes you don't
Happy Steamin'

Paul

GlennW

Quote from: Neo Fender on January 19, 2009, 11:55:05 AM
Are they good places to buy "low risk" items, e. g. used rolling stock and track?  I've attended one show and found vendors prices competitive on some new items but not all.

Thanks.

Train shows can be great, they can be poor.  A swap meet can be the best place for used items. Buyer beware, but there should be a test track to make sure lokies run. Prices need to be fair for both buyer & seller.

Woody Elmore

At the Timonium shows there are vendors who sell tons of used cars. I once picked through a box of HO cars and negotiated a price of a dollar a car. I bought 20 of them for the Kadee couplers but realized that I had undertaken too much work! I wound up fixing up a lot of the cars and handing them over to a minister who had a youth group building a layout.

Used track is just that - used track. I always walk around and look at all the vendors' wares. Sometimes you'll find something cheaper at another table. If it's late in the day or the second day of the show, vendors are often willing to drop prices rather than repack the stuff.

Obviously you should test a locomotive and the show should have test tracks available.

CNE Runner

My wife and I vendor at several smaller train shows in the Southeast. Before I offer anything for sale, I make sure it runs...or I label it as "parts only" or "as is ". With the price of fuel/lodging/food, and the condition of the economy, we are seriously considering abandoning the train show circuit (at least as vendors). Regarding prices: we deal mainly in O-gauge; but do sell some used HO stuff. None of our offerings are new so I can be very realistic with pricing. That isn't true with new trains. The profit margin is usually very slim (unless you are Walthers and can sell at MSRP) so there isn't a lot of room for negotiation. Yes, you can buy cheaper (sometimes) on the Internet...but look what you are paying for shipping!

I have found that train shows are so much more than buying a new engine or another car. To spend the day, rubbing elbows with folks afflicted with our common disease, makes me realize that I am not alone. I have met the most interesting people at train shows. Additionally I love to look through the "junk box" for orphan gems that only need a little TLC (OK...a lot of TLC sometimes). Train shows are great fun!

As an aside, one of the things that drive vendors crazy is the guy who wants to purchase ONE car (let's say it is offered a little over cost) and wants a better deal. Folks: when you come up to our booth and have purchased several (OK...a couple) cars - I will do what I can for you. ONE CAR??..try another booth for that "super" deal.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Woody Elmore

Ray - You make a good point about rubbing elbows and generally shmoozing with other train fans at train shows. Often there are working layouts and all kinds of electronics on display with the vendor present so you can ask questions.

I also have seen the guys who haggle and haggle then walk away. I have helped sell at the Timonium shows and I am aware of the characters who hang around and expect a vendor to give things away.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Even if I don't buy a single thing, a day at a train show is always a day well spent.  :)

It's funny how often I don't find what I'm looking for at a show, but find other good stuff instead!  :D

(I wouldn't buy used track to use for myself, but I find I'm getting on the lookout for some old track in reasonably good condition to "restore" some old train sets that lost their track over the years.)

Guilford Guy

Bring a 9 volt battery. Hold the two terminals against the wheelsets to make sure it runs... Its a great investment...
Alex

bevernie

:DGREETINGS!!  :oOkay, I'm guilty, as charged!! Existing on a VERY tight budget, I can't spend a lot, but I really enjoy the train shows. As much as any other reason, I like to go and LOOK! :o There's all kinds of ideas represented, and "new" ways of doing thigs! For the most part, very rarely do I buy new. I like to get "junk" for "nothing", then take it home and either fix it or use the parts to fix one like it.
   But, looking at the displays and sets, one can get all kinds of ideas to use one the "home" layout!(i.e. one layout-HO- had a carnival with an "n" guage train being used as a "ride"!)
                                                                                       THANX!!
                                                           8)                           Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

richG

Since digital cameras with zoom lenses are pretty much available, you can usually get some good close up photos and review them right away. plus change angle, distance, etc for better shots. Most of the time, you can adjust brightness and contrast at home on your PC if those two items are not the best.
Could not do that with the older film cameras
Rich

CNE Runner

Hey Rich...I think you are on the wrong thread!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

bevernie

www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

roy ginn

Hi From the UK, Just reading some coments about (train shows). I am the Exhibition manager for the Shoeburyness mrc here in the UK. We always make sure our traders are reputable. We have a test track of varios gauges so people buying locos etc can test them before parting with cash.
This years Exhibition is our clubs 27th all very sucesfull. the area of this years Exhibition is somewhere in the regone of 112.000 sq ft. Dont forget to test your puchases befor you go home.
Roy Ginn (chair)SMRC.   www.shoeburynessmrc.co.uk
Good Night from UK
chairman of shoeburyness model railway club uk.