News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-2 options?

Started by Michael J. Caboose, January 28, 2009, 01:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael J. Caboose

I'm looking to start another project by this summer, a model of the CNJ Blue Comet. Seeing how I was born in Jersey, I'd like to model the motive power. Plus, shes quite a looker.

Now, I know she was a G-3 Pacific, but apparently that doesn't exist in a plastic model.

Even a USRA heavy pacific would be more accurate, but it looks like I'm settling for a USRA light pacific, and detail the hell out of it to get something remotely like the real deal.

It appears that BLI isn't coming out with their pacific any longer, guess they didn't get enough preorders. My options are IHC, a Bowser kit, and the upcoming Roundhouse model.

I don't want the Bowser kit, as I don't really have time to put together a kit, I already have an MDC 4-4-2 that is still waiting to be striped and put together.

Not sure what the price is on the RH model is going to be, if it's out by June then I will possibly consider it, depending on the price/detail/features.

That leaves the IHC Pacific. I can get one of the newer versions that is DCC ready for only $99. Granted, it will have to be detailed and repainted, but I'm confident that I can have something that would be at least recognizable. I understand I'll likely have to print out the majority of the decals.

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions? I'm building a list of supplies and parts and would love to hear suggestions, especially on paint. I know its a royal blue, but who makes a really nice royal blue?

MJC

Yampa Bob

Floquil has several shades of blue, I will send you the color chart. The "CSX Blue" might be close to "Royal Blue".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Didn't the B&O have engines painted royal blue?

Woody Elmore

The B&O Royal Blue was a different hue than that used on the Blue Comet. If I recall correctly, the CNJ train was sort of a sky blue with a tan or ochre colored trim. I think Floquil Big Sky blue might be a closer match or a good starting point.

Yampa Bob may have more information than I do but I think the CSX blue might a little too dark.

I suggest you locate some CNJ modelers  online who probably can give you a more definitive answer.

Good luck.

Woody Elmore

This is to correct my last posting. The Blue Comet was painted in two shades of blue: one called called "Packard" blue and the other "royal blue." The window stripe was a cream color. The  two blues were for the seashore and sky. The cream represented the Jersey dairies

Google the words "Whippany Railway." This group has some color pictures and a little locomotive information.

Michael J. Caboose

Many thanks for the color chart Yampa. I'll have to have a look around the LHS and see if I can't match some colors.

I was just on RH's site, they are scheduled to release the DC version of their pacific in early July for $149. I'll wait and see how it performs and what the detail level on it is.

I checked out that site for the Whippany Railway, lots of good information on there. The only thing is, what part was painted Packard and what part royal?

Guilford Guy

The Roundhouse 'cifics are probably the closest of the 2, and will have a more up to date drive, and better detail than the IHC.
Alex

Woody Elmore

Michael - if you email the people at the Whippany Railway they might be able to help with what parts were the different color blues.

The picture of the the restored car looks very close to Floquil Big Sky Blue. Of course cameras can be off in color. Also, I would think that the real cars saw a lot of wear especially if they were along the shore they were exposed to salt air which is not good for paint. I bet the colors varied over the years.

pdlethbridge

Another thing to consider would be how your train room would be lighted. Any color you choose should be lighter than normal as lighting would be darker than actual sunlight.

Jim2903

I have a Rivarossi Heavy Pacific (newer run with small flanges) that I'm willing to part with that might be suitable for your project. Contact me off forum if interested ...
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Nigel

Depending on how much of a stickler you are; there is a major issue with driver diameter, most of the CNJ Pacifics had 79" drivers, the IHC, Roundhouse, and similar light USRA models have 969"/70" drivers.

"The CNJ locos in fact were based on the Reading's G1s, with more differences introduced over time. All had 79 inch drivers except the last class. The CNJ had 21 Pacifics, all built by Baldwin, divided among four classes.
The G1s, 6 locos, were built in 1918, nos. 820-825.
The G2s, five locos, were built in '23, nos. 826-830.
The G3s, five locos, were built in '28, nos. 831-835. These came with feedwater heaters. Nos. 831-833 were painted in the Blue Comet colors, as the train iself was introduced in 1928. This only lasted into the mid-'30's. (Loco on. 834 was painted a dark green for a short time to pull the Bullet.)
[CNJ 831, at the head of the Blue Comet. Railway Age, 1930.]
[CNJ 834, front view. On the Bullet. RA, 1930.]
The G4s class was built in 1930, nos. 810-814. These had 74 inch drivers.
[CNJ 814, builder's photo. Looks similar to the RDG/Mantua engine with the wide firebox and notched cab but note the feedwater heater. The drivers would be smaller on the CNJ loco than the Mantua model.] "
from: http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/article.php?article=2606

As noted by RPI, your closest model would be a Mantua 4-6-2.  Other choices with 79/80" drivers include the Spectrum (and other) PRR K4 models, and the Rivarossi Heavy USRA.

Bowser has 72" drivers, which will fit thier USRA Light/ NYC K-11 chassis.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

RAM

Nigel the web page http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/article.php?article=2606  I think has an error.  I don't recall that they ever made a 2-10-2.  They did make a 2-10-0.

Michael J. Caboose

Thanks for the information everyone.

As far as driver sizes go, I'm not so nit-picky. I just plan on having something that someone can look at and say "hey, that looks like the Blue Comet."

As far as details go, I'll be adding many details to give it at least the feel of the Blue Comet. Even if the IHC is the most sparsely detailed model, it gives me a clean base to start. I do want to check out the RH model first though, see how it performs. If it is anything like the Genesis line, I'm sure I'll be pleased. I just wish BLI would release their Pacific, it would be perfect.

I found some pictures of an HO Brass CNJ G3 painted as the BC. The color looks correct, and it gives me an idea of what I'd have to change on the USRA Pacific and what colors.

Then there is pulling power. If the model can pull at least 5 Bachmann Spectrum Heavyweights then perfect. I also want to get a hold of some of those cheap, any road and number, and I'll make a small set of matching passenger cars.

Honestly, even if it isn't greatly accurate I don't mind. A likeness is good enough for me. Some details here and there (the feedwater heater for sure), and a good paint job and I'm happy.

Woody Elmore

Michael - you are taking a sensible approach. What made the train famous was the color scheme which was very brash for the era. If you've ever seen pictures of the old Lionel standard gauge Blue Comet train, it hardly looked like the real thing but it had a great paint job.

For all the work people do in copying passenger rolling stock, the average person couldn't tell a baggage car from a coach.

The goal of the hobby is, as the Bachman says, to have fun and not to worry that a coach in your train has too many windows or other things like that.

Maybe when you get the two tone blue and cream color scheme worked out you could post some pictures.

Michael J. Caboose

Thank you very much Woody.

I've seen some pictures of the old tinplate Blue Comet, not at all accurate, but it sure looks great.

I'll have pictures as soon as I start gathering the models and materials. Finances are the only block right now.  :-[