News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Athearn Engine Parts (Spring)

Started by hotrainlover, February 20, 2009, 05:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

I know this is a Bachmann Site.  I have used this site for many years, and have MANY Bachmann products...  This being said....

I need a small spring that connects the brass clip to the motor....  I have  loco that runs erratically, (has since I bought it).   I have found that it is missing the small spring that is UNDER the brass clip in a small hole.  I tried a Pen spring, but it is too big around.  Any ideas would be helpful...

As always...
Thanks for the help

jayl1

Try parts@athearn.com.  They may be able to help you.  A phone number is also available on the Athearn site.

Yampa Bob

If you have purchased Kadee 5 or 148 couplers, you probably have a few extra knuckle springs that might work. If they are a bit too small, reform them with needle nose pliers. 

Another option is to check local hardware stores.  They usually have an assortment of small motor brush springs that can be cut or modified to work.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hotrainlover

Thanks for the help.  I did check with Athearn, and they wanted $7.00 just for 1 spring.  Yes I will check the parts Store as mentioned, I had not even thought of that...

Thanks again for the help!!

Yampa Bob

I keep a supply of small spring wire handy, usually make my own by wrapping around a needle or tiny nail as a mandrel. For large springs, I have a winding jig, can even wind 3/16" piano wire for airplane landing gear. 

Here's a thought, strip out one strand from a piece of stranded copper wire, wrap around a thin dressmaker's pin or needle.

Some hobby shops stock the small springs that go under the pickup shoes on AFX slot cars. Heck, I would try all sorts of things before paying $7.00 (plus shipping) for a tiny spring, but then I'm a cheapskate.   8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hotrainlover

Bob,
Yes I guess I am a cheapskate, TOO.  I thought that was price gouging!!

I am off to the parts store.  :)

Len

Quote from: hotrainlover on February 20, 2009, 09:05:03 PM
Thanks for the help.  I did check with Athearn, and they wanted $7.00 just for 1 spring.  Yes I will check the parts Store as mentioned, I had not even thought of that...

Thanks again for the help!!

Something doesn't sound right about that price.

If this is for a standard Athearn HO motor, it should be PN 84014, Motor Brush Springs 36/pk for $5.40, not $7.00 each.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hotrainlover

Len,
I guess that means they wanted to sell me 36.....

With shipping it would be $7.00...
And to think, I just need ONE!!

SteamGene

Buy lots of Athearns.  Losse lots of small springs.  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"